LED vs HID who made the switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED vs HID who made the switch

I have, DEPOs right now converted to HID with Mini Morimoto Lenses. I like them but in my quest to get back to as much as I can OE, I am thinking of doing Hella's with LED bulbs.

Who has made the switch from HID to LED and how are they liking the results? My lighting is fine right now, I don't need it brighter (although it wouldn't hurt) I just don't want it worse.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

I did. I used my Hella E-Code housings with 6000k LED bulbs. I had to trim the rubber seal/boot a bit to get it to work. I never had HID. It's a gigantic improvement! I also went with amber fog light bulbs, but now they are not helpful since the headlights are now so efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by txleadfoot View Post
      I did. I used my Hella E-Code housings with 6000k LED bulbs. I had to trim the rubber seal/boot a bit to get it to work. I never had HID. It's a gigantic improvement! I also went with amber fog light bulbs, but now they are not helpful since the headlights are now so efficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hrg...ew?usp=sharing
      Thanks for sharing your car looks clean!!

Comment

Really nice looking car txleadfoot!

Comment

Clean white convertible...

Actually interested to see your set-up with the LEDs.
          I have non-smiley euro lights and looking to upgrade.
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

I'd love more info on this too. I've been considering a set of H4 LED's for my hella buckets. More pics of output, comparison, maybe a link to the bulbs and how you had to trim the boot on the back :) Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I've got a set of euro simleys in my car now. Am thinking of going to either HID or LED so would love more info too.

Comment

I believe a 55W HID kit will outperform an LED bulb in every possible way. I do not recommend LED's, HID's are proven, cheap, work well and will last a long time. My 55W HID system in both my E30 and E46, from DDM tuning, have been working perfect for over 10 years now. There is usually no car on the road that can out match my light output aside from brand new lexus and some other luxury vehicles.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Well out of curiosity I picked up a set of LEDs for my Hella H4 E-code buckets. I'm happy with them and I personally find it to be an upgrade over the 2 year old halogen bulbs I had in there before. I also made sure my lights were aimed properly via Daniel Stern's write-up, so as not to blind others on the road. I'm amazed at how well these buckets preserved that projector- like cutoff. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                    I believe a 55W HID kit will outperform an LED bulb in every possible way. I do not recommend LED's, HID's are proven, cheap, work well and will last a long time. My 55W HID system in both my E30 and E46, from DDM tuning, have been working perfect for over 10 years now. There is usually no car on the road that can out match my light output aside from brand new lexus and some other luxury vehicles.
                    I totally agree. I have HIDs in my smilies on my vert and can't be any happier. I think LEDs close up are more intense, but the throw on HIDs project out way farther than LEDs. You can't compare.

Comment

LED 's in halogen housing have the same issues as hid's in halogen housings. They are brighter but do not focus the light properly and will blind in coming drivers. If you want LED the best bet is a full light replacement for the sealed beam housings. I have a 7" jwspeaker light on my motorcycle, they are dot legal if you need to pass inspection & make a 5.75 light. There are cheaper option but that is what I have experience with. I also have the morimoto projectors in the depot housings, I do not think you will improve on this setup with LED bulbs.

Comment

this is my history of head lights on my car:
                        1. sealed beam OE
                        2. sealed beam H1/H4 conversion
                        3. depos with halogen
                        4. depos with H4 led
                        5. depos with mini morimotos + squared

each iteration got progressively brighter along with more prominent and cleaner cutoffs. I personally felt that the h4 led was better than the halogens. by far, the morimoto setup is the best and brightest, there is nothing that is brighter or cleaner but that all comes with a price tag.
                        sigpic

Comment

Another vote for Depos with Morimoto LEDs
                          OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                          84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

I do LED in high beams on some cars to get instant brightness vs the HID lag.

Still believe hid is brighter than led

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I will do some before an afters I went with the LEDs because now that I have real euro hella's instead of the Depos I didnt want to hack up the housings and put in the morimoto projectors. Going to sell that as a set. Even if its not brighter than the HID I will be a ton brighter than the old sealed beam H4s.

Comment

Working...
                              X