Question regarding upgrading headlights from H1 to HID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding upgrading headlights from H1 to HID

I have an '89 touring original (or I believe they are original) H1 headlights. I want to upgrade the lights to HID. UNforuntalty all kits I have come across, the HID lamps do not fit the housing. Does anyone know if it possible to upgrade the Euro lights to HID and if so - how? Do I have to Dremmel out the housing to fit the HID or is there an after-market piece that will connect to the headlight and HID lamp?

Many thanks.

Erik

​Existing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	H1 also.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	9979643 Existing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	26765.9005_Morimoto_Elite.010.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	9979646 Click image for larger version

Name:	26765.9005_Morimoto_Elite.010.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	9979647 What I'm looking to install
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastErik View Post
          I have an '89 touring original (or I believe they are original) H1 headlights. I want to upgrade the lights to HID. UNforuntalty all kits I have come across, the HID lamps do not fit the housing. Does anyone know if it possible to upgrade the Euro lights to HID and if so - how? Do I have to Dremmel out the housing to fit the HID or is there an after-market piece that will connect to the headlight and HID lamp?
          There are topics about replacing the projectors to Morimoto, etc using 3d-printed adapters.

Comment

I had a premium hid kit and then I bought a led set and they are cheaper and work better than the hid kit. The led installation is plug and play.

Comment

H1 HID bulbs are extremely common. I dont know why you can find them, a quick search for me popped up many examples.
              Owner - Bavarian Restoration
              BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
              www.BavRest.com
              My Feedback Thread
              Our Facebook!
              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thank you all. Most helpful

Comment

The latest generation of LED bulbs are extremely impressive. I would go there instead of HIDs at this point.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

I'll check them out.

Comment

If you are going to an H1 HID kit you will not be able to use the back caps.

I will say this as others have said I went from HID to LED, pretty similar light output, get to full brightness faster and way cheaper and easier to do, just plug and play.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to tackle the headlights this week.

Comment

Are you suggesting that I forego the HID and use LED?

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastErik View Post

Are you suggesting that I forego the HID and use LED?
                            If you already have the kit and cant return it you might as well go with HID. But personally since you have the projectors its way easier to do the LED and its cheaper. Shadowline motorsports has a thread on here on them and I bought from him.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I'll check them out. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X