BMW E30 Radio flush mounting adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW E30 Radio flush mounting adapter

So as some of you might have noticed the radio on the E30 is sticking out ~7mm from the heater control trim panel.

I found a picture on Instagram that showed the radio sitting flush with the heater control panel, turned out it's possible to mount the radio flush by using a 3D printed adapter
    So I went ahead and measured the heater control panel and my radio and began designing an adapter piece.

Couple hours later and I have a first prototype. I made some small adjustments on the model after fitting it the first time.
    Test fitted the switches and OBC and it all looks good.

Originally my original radio (Bavaria C Business) is clamped on the ridge of the heater control panel. However for the radio to fit deeper this must be removed. I used a flush cutting plier to remove the bulk of material and a file to clean it up further.
    A Dremel should also do the job.

3D print fitted, using the upper screw of the heater control knob and both OBC screws. (I had to use a longer M3 bolt)

At this time I didn't fit the OBC yet (prototype pictured) but it's possible to use the original screws for the OBC.

How everything turned out

Picture of how it looked before
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Bravo. Looks nice and period correct. HiFi for me, tho! I was actually looking at this to replace my kenwood and achieve the same look but with the ability to keep my amp and use new media.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Retro Car Stereo Radio Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB USB Mp3 SD Bluetooth A2dp at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bastard View Post
      Bravo. Looks nice and period correct. HiFi for me, tho! I was actually looking at this to replace my kenwood and achieve the same look but with the ability to keep my amp and use new media.

https://www.ebay.com/p/12034909144
      Thanks! It's the original radio according to the options list.
      I actually don't listen a lot to the radio, I prefer the engine noise :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

100% AGREED, but I'm a multi-pronged audiophoile. :P Well done, thanks for the pics.
        "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

This looks great! Nice work.

Will you be selling these? Or if not, sharing the 3D printing file?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            This looks great! Nice work.

Will you be selling these? Or if not, sharing the 3D printing file?
            Thank you!
            I found out about this mod from a guy on Instagram that was selling these for 45€ but apparently lower his price to 30€.

His models does has the (what I think are) 1DIN cut out's to mount other radios as well. I tried searching for a 3D file with these kind of cut outs so I can add them in my model as well but so far no luck.
            I have no problem with sharing the file once completed with said cut outs.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Someone finally solved one of the biggest pet peeves of mine. That looks MUCH better.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                Someone finally solved one of the biggest pet peeves of mine. That looks MUCH better.
                Thanks! It didn't bother me that much but seeing a picture of the radio that's sitting flush I was immediately convinced!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I posted my model up on Printables, if some of you want to download it.. go a head :)

I do want to add, if someone has a 3D model with the 1DIN cut out's please send it to me, i'd like to add them into my model to accepts more models.
                  thanks!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This is fantastic. I just downloaded the template and will try to get it to work with my Porsche class radio... This has been bothering me. :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pc1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	10113045 Click image for larger version

Name:	pclassic.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	10113046
                    1992 318i cabrio Alpinweiss 2
                    2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post

Thank you!
                      I found out about this mod from a guy on Instagram that was selling these for 45€ but apparently lower his price to 30€.

His models does has the (what I think are) 1DIN cut out's to mount other radios as well. I tried searching for a 3D file with these kind of cut outs so I can add them in my model as well but so far no luck.
                      I have no problem with sharing the file once completed with said cut outs.
                      Thanks again!!! I downloaded the files and printed them on Xometry

For others, this is the site that sells some other goodies (takes original radios and adds Bluetooth which is great): https://bmw-radios.com/ . Really cool for those looking to keep the original radio and add Bluetooth to it. Their microphone that fits into one of the blanks above the radio is perfect too.

Name:	Photo Feb 02 2024, 12 02 58 PM.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	10113671

Name:	Photo Feb 02 2024, 12 05 12 PM.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	10113672
                      Last edited by sna77; 02-04-2024, 08:36 AM.
                      2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

Thanks! It didn't bother me that much but seeing a picture of the radio that's sitting flush I was immediately convinced!
                        And I've got it in with the Porsche classic radio. MUCH better look.

Name:	Photo Feb 22 2024, 9 23 06 AM.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	10114894
                        2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

I posted my model up on Printables, if some of you want to download it.. go a head :)

I do want to add, if someone has a 3D model with the 1DIN cut out's please send it to me, i'd like to add them into my model to accepts more models.
                          thanks!

https://www.printables.com/model/722...ount-the-radio
                          So will the E30 Radio Adapter _BMW 65121375737 file work with a single DIN aftermarket sleeve? I'll give it a try and report back if you think it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by BSAmarc View Post

So will the E30 Radio Adapter _BMW 65121375737 file work with a single DIN aftermarket sleeve? I'll give it a try and report back if you think it will work.
                            I'm not sure as I haven't had a lot of feedback yet regarding the aftermarket fit. Would be great if you're willing to test this out! thanks

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                            X