Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    Where did you relocate your hazard and defrost button?
    I actually didn't do the work, was already done when I bought it . The buttons are down near window switched in console.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Sony offers a wide variety of durable audio products for cars & boats. Check out our marine & car audio receivers, speakers, & other products today.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

That looks beast. But for an e30? It needs more amber buttons...
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Right now I have this cheap color changing Pioneer DEH-X3500UI which is currently set to BMW orange

But if I were to replace the Pioneer, I'd want to grab this Alpine CDE-153BT. My only gripe is the lack of color options

Also not e30 related, but I'm looking at a Jensen VX7020 for another car b/c touch screen and GPS. I'm wary of buying a GPS unit because it may be hard to update compared to iphone GPS. But I have a ton of room in the other car and want to go double din touch screen and GPS goes naturally with that setup

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Nice, but cost about what my car did. Though thats the kind of cash I used to spend on car audio. And in a vert, egh, not the best application for true high end

Comment

I'm looking for a head unit to replace my aging 90's Alpine CD receiver. I currently have a 90's alpine cd receiver, aux in, being fed by a bluetooth adapter. It's connected to a 5 channel amp, lukebox, component fronts, and 2-way rears. The sound has been awesome, but the receiver is starting to flake out.

Must haves:
              adjustable color
              4 channel rca out
              integrated bluetooth
              aux in
              style that suites the e30

Nice to have:
              5/6 channel rca out
              hd radio
              cd player

Mechless/non cd player/media receivers are ok.

I'm hoping to find something under $100. Clearance/open box/oldstock/etc are all fine.
              I have a Planet Audio 5.1 amp that I bought at stereoinstaller1's recommendation, and it has served me well for 3+ years. I'm not afraid of off brand, as long as it's known to perform well.

I've been looking around, digging through clearance sections of websites, and keep finding units that have everything BUT adjustable color. For some reason that alone adds $50 to the price.
              Last edited by Andy.B; 02-06-2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

After digging around for a while, I think I've landed on the Kenwood KDCBT362U

It's got 3 pairs of pre outs, adjustable color, built in BT, and aux/usb in. The only things it's missing over the higher priced units in their lineup is HD and 4 volt preouts (as opposed to 2.5volt). Unless someone suggests something better, I'll probably pull the trigger on this today.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                  I'm looking for a head unit to replace my aging 90's Alpine CD receiver. I currently have a 90's alpine cd receiver, aux in, being fed by a bluetooth adapter. It's connected to a 5 channel amp, lukebox, component fronts, and 2-way rears. The sound has been awesome, but the receiver is starting to flake out.

Must haves:
                  adjustable color
                  4 channel rca out
                  integrated bluetooth
                  aux in
                  style that suites the e30

Nice to have:
                  5/6 channel rca out
                  hd radio
                  cd player

Mechless/non cd player/media receivers are ok.

I'm hoping to find something under $100. Clearance/open box/oldstock/etc are all fine.
                  I have a Planet Audio 5.1 amp that I bought at stereoinstaller1's recommendation, and it has served me well for 3+ years. I'm not afraid of off brand, as long as it's known to perform well.

I've been looking around, digging through clearance sections of websites, and keep finding units that have everything BUT adjustable color. For some reason that alone adds $50 to the price.

I have this JVC headunit in my e30. Its pretty good and can be found for right around $100 on ebay, maybe less if refurbished. It has adjustable colors on the buttons and screen, 4.8 volt 6 channel preamps, BT, USB, and Aux. Its not perfect but suites me fine, especially at $100.
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I usually don't listen to music, as I'm still listening intently for any noises the car makes until I get it all sorted. But I did want something for extended highway driving. This replaces the 2000s era sony headunit that was installed by the previous owner. There was no aux or USB in on the headunit (plus it looked unsightly), so I pulled it out.

Here's my temporary setup.
                    Aux in and power switch for the very small Class-D amplifier board I have tucked behind the faceplate.

It's not great right now, but should be much better when I twin the amplifier so it isn't one small board pushing all four speakers.

The plan is also to install two more gauges. Originally I was going to put all three gauges where the headunit normally goes, but the far left one would be blocked by my steering wheel in my normal driving position.

So right now the plan is for two gauges where the radio delete panel is, and in the left spot, provisions for music. Third (less important) gauge will go in the ashtray.

Ideally, I'd like to have a small LCD display with the option of an FM tuner as well as the AUX in. Also volume, fade, and balance controls would be nice.
                    I haven't worked out how I plan to do this yet, still lots of other things to take care of on the car before I invest significant time in the audio department.

I may also hide the 3.5mm jack somewhere so there isn't a cord coming out of the dash. (To be honest though I do like the contrast of the red cord on the black interior)

Last edited by Panici; 02-07-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I ended up going with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X399:

Bluetooth 3.0 and apt-X support
                      3 pairs of 4v pre-outs
                      Adjustable display color
                      $94.99 from amazon prime.

I've never owned a Kenwood head unit before. Usually Pioneer and Alpine. I've seen plenty of reviews ranking the recent Excelon line from Kenwood above Pioneer's equivalent Premier offerings.
                      We'll see how it compares.

I'll post some pics once it arrives and I get it installed.
                      Last edited by Andy.B; 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

The high of 2 degrees didn't keep me from installing the new head unit today.
                        Fortunately, the fact that I use the RCA preouts instead of the integrated amp means I only have 4 wires to splice in, which made it a 10 minute job.

I haven't spent any time adjusting the amp or eq settings, I just mounted it and fired it up, and can say the audio quality of streaming via bluetooth is noticeably improved. Overall the deck has a much warmer sound than the Alpine it replaced. I'm sure that as I dial in the settings, it will only get better.

I spent about 30 seconds scrolling through the illumination colors before landing on 'orange 2', and it's a spot on match to the dash illumination. It's a little shiny for my taste, so I'll probably give the trim surround the same treatment my last head unit got, which is a coating of SEM trim black to make it a little duller, and help it blend a little more. The chrome border of the volume knob and chrome accents on the faceplate actually look right at home, due to the instrument cluster trim rings.

All said, for $96, I couldn't be happier, and I'd highly recommend the deck to anyone locking for a capable head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                          If you're gonna do that you should just get a glovebox-mounted bluetooth setup where you keep your phone in your car for music/phone calls and any idea of radio is kept out of sight. That way you have all your controls and all your gauges and everything is super clean.

Comment

Looks clean bruh. You remember back in the day when all decks were $200+? And the only sweet option was a tape deck...
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                              If you're gonna do that you should just get a glovebox-mounted bluetooth setup where you keep your phone in your car for music/phone calls and any idea of radio is kept out of sight. That way you have all your controls and all your gauges and everything is super clean.

Agreed and great idea!

What unit would you suggest? And how do you control volume? By phone? Or install a knob somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              -ALaS

Comment

Originally posted by alas View Post
                                Agreed and great idea!

What unit would you suggest? And how do you control volume? By phone? Or install a knob somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Hmm there should be an option to change volume control from your stereo to your phone within the deck's menu. I would shop around and get the best one that you can afford. Look for one that specifies both bluetooth phone and audio.

Comment

Working...
                                X