No announcement yet.

Understanding E30 speaker and amp wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winterse30 that's a wide open question, very hard to answer. I assume this is a factory radio setup. if you can pull your radio to access the speaker wiring, try swapping the left and right speaker wires. If the working speakers change to the other side then the problem is your radio. if the same speakers still don't work then it's not the radio. You just need to keep isolating stuff until you figure out where the problem is. good luck
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I updated the original post with more info, including an example of a two channel radio amp bypass. the 2 channel radio BMW sound system setup has fewer wires going to the power amp connector than the 4 channel setup.

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Here is a standalone picture of the 2 to 4 channel adapter, part number 61101388934

Note that there are no ground wires in that harness.

Can this adapter be deleted and the in dash speaker wires run directly to the head unit? The PO of my car just the far end "LH" and "RH" labeled cables and used butt connectors to run them to the head unit. The green/black and purple/black negative left and right rear speaker wires connected to this second harness. The positive green and purple wires aren't connected to anything. Currently still only have sound to the right tweeter, left tweeter and left front and rear speakers.

I still want to use the stock wiring so I don't have to pull apart the interior again, but at this point maybe I should just delete everything and run my own cables.

Comment

quasi mofo sounds like you are going aftermarket. Just head over to the stickied @stereoinstaller wiring thread in the same audio forum

that harness adapter is the rear speakers only on cars with premium sound and 4 channel radios.

you will also have a blue and a yellow wire with a speaker connector on it. Those are the positive leads for the front speakers

Drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to buy the wiring bits you remove from you

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

On an early model 2 channel radio only car would I need a “floating ground adapter” or could I just share the front/rear negatives for each side?

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
              On an early model 2 channel radio only car would I need a “floating ground adapter” or could I just share the front/rear negatives for each side?
              Update: after doing some more research I ran new negatives for the 2 front speakers and left the existing negatives as dedicated rear negatives.

Comment

so I did all the new head unit wiring, all the speaker wires connected to the new speaker wires, and power etc. Then I have one yellow wire and one blue wire, both coming from the power bundle, not the speaker bundle that have no where to connect to. I went ahead and did the whole amp bypass wiring as well. However I still have no sound. My assumption is that my problem is coming from those two wires in the dash. But my question is where do I connect those?

Comment

Working...
                X