Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Pan Drain Plug Hole Stripped - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pan Drain Plug Hole Stripped - Advice?

1991 318i - Changed the oil and upon reinstalling the drain plug, it appears that the hole in the oil pan is stripped. I have tried to remove the plug part way and clean the bolt and crush washer. It still drips.

Thoughts / advice?

What type of crush washer are you using? Are you using a new crush washer each time?

Comment

Since new washers come with the filter kit one would hope.

Two ways to fix it, drill and/or tap the pan for an oversized plug or replace the pan with new.

Since you're clearly a novice you'll need to remove the pan to tap it so you don't end up with shavings in the engine.

Comment

I put a Time-Sert in mine but it still dripped a little. Sourced a good used oil pan. No more leaks.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Two ways to fix it, drill and/or tap the pan for an oversized plug or replace the pan with new.

Since you're clearly a novice you'll need to remove the pan to tap it so you don't end up with shavings in the engine.
          You can put wheel bearing grease in between the flutes of the tap to catch the metal and just pour a quart or two with the plug off and let it clear any possible remains.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I appreciate the advice, not the comment. Its clear what you are as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GarageBound View Post

Ask a basic question, get a response tailored to a basic skillset. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by GarageBound View Post

He's a rogue toaster
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I agree with Mr Burgandy. I don't think it's necessary to remove the pan unless you have other business like a leaky pan gasket or something. The shavings should stay localized and can be flushed out.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

He's a rogue toaster
                    Probably.

In any case, I would personally just install an aftermarket lower pan for $20-40. But what do I know, it's not like I'm a nearly 15 year M42 fanatic or anything. I swear I'm reformed and only have an M40 these days, and they have absolutely no common components like oil pans whatsoever...

Comment

^ I didn't realize M42's had a 2pc oil pan setup and the lower pans were inexpensive. You have a good point.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                      X