No announcement yet.

DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my large white base switches and ordered the flat bezels from the dealer, $1,60 a piece, pretty cheap.
    I'll be asking questions if I have problems while installing (and believe me, I'm sure there will be)
    Great thread! Thanks guys
    344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

I finished installing some E36 switches today (well actually yesterday, seeing as it's after midnight now).

Pulled a pair of white base switches from the front console and the bezels from the rear doors of an E36 at a yard.

The PDF wiring directions turned out to be useless for me. I went through the whole test light thing got the colors written down, and hooked up one side. It worked once, and then blew the fuse continually after that.

I ended up using BDSax's coloring, which was completely different from what I had gotten using the test light:

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
      E30 Switch:

Window Up 1 - Black or (Black/Grey)
      Positive (+) 3 - Green/Grey
      Negitive (-) 4 - Brown
      Negitive (-) 5 - Brown
      Window Down 8 - Purple

E36 White Base #1:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
      Window Down 3 - Black/Yellow
      Window Up 4 - Blue/Green
      Positive (+) 5 - Red/Brown

E36 White Base #2:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
      Window Down 3 - Purple/Grey
      Window Up 4 - Black/Grey
      Positive (+) 5 - Red/Brown
      Although I pulled both switches from the same car and they were both white-based, one was colored like "White Base #1" and the other was like "White Base #2." Weird that they would be different.

Instead of soldering, I used butt splices and a crimper, and then heat-shrunk it.

Everything now works great, and the switches light up too. This thread came in handy (Especially BDSax's post), thanks guys.

Comment

threadbump!

Anyone know the peak current a single window motor can draw? I'm not near my car, unfortunately :(

*working on a special project*
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          threadbump!

Anyone know the peak current a single window motor can draw? I'm not near my car, unfortunately :(

*working on a special project*
          get with GEORGE

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
          I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
          "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

where are the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by B2702 View Post
              where are the pictures?
              what pictures are you talking about

"Supersquad"

Comment

So if retrofitting the e36 switches, you can't have the one touch roll up/down option? Is it possible to wire so that one switch rolls down all the windows? Would like to this to my vert. if thats possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwaaahhh View Post
                  So if retrofitting the e36 switches, you can't have the one touch roll up/down option? Is it possible to wire so that one switch rolls down all the windows? Would like to this to my vert. if thats possible.
                  yes its posible but why would you want to do that. if you want to do that let me know i will help you

"Supersquad"

Comment

All i gotta do now is fix my tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaaahhh View Post
                      so if retrofitting the e36 switches, you can't have the one touch roll up/down option? Is it possible to wire so that one switch rolls down all the windows? Would like to this to my vert. If thats possible.
                      anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwaaahhh View Post
                        anyone?
                        One touch is more difficult because it actually requires some control logic. I'm messing around with a circuit right now that uses the small-base e36 switches to do regular window opening/closing as well as one-touch.

If you can find a (on)|off|(on) flip switch ( (on) means momentary on, so the switch won't stay in that position unless you hold it) DPDT switch, you can set it up to control all your windows at the same time. I don't have a graphically-inclined program right now (my desktop is packed away) but I'll try to illustrate the setup tomorrow or during the weekend.

Bug me via PM if I forget or something.
                        Last edited by kronus; 08-01-2008, 01:54 AM.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by teh phil View Post
                          does anybody have a lighted e36 switch/harness laying around? I bought two a while back, but one was broken.....now my window switches don't match. :rofl:
                          ^^^^^

:(

Comment

question: you know how when our doors are open the over-head lights are on, and when they close the lights go off? has anyone made a system were the lights stay on for say.... 30 seconds after the doors shut? maybe i'm the only one that wants this...
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              One touch is more difficult because it actually requires some control logic. I'm messing around with a circuit right now that uses the small-base e36 switches to do regular window opening/closing as well as one-touch.

If you can find a (on)|off|(on) flip switch ( (on) means momentary on, so the switch won't stay in that position unless you hold it) DPDT switch, you can set it up to control all your windows at the same time. I don't have a graphically-inclined program right now (my desktop is packed away) but I'll try to illustrate the setup tomorrow or during the weekend.

Bug me via PM if I forget or something.
                              Oic thanks man! So which one would you recommend, the big or small base switches. Going to head to the junk yard this weekend, see what i can find.

Comment

Originally posted by learningcurve86 View Post
                                question: you know how when our doors are open the over-head lights are on, and when they close the lights go off? has anyone made a system were the lights stay on for say.... 30 seconds after the doors shut? maybe i'm the only one that wants this...
                                Yes, someone is selling them here or at E30tech or one of the other sites...

Comment

Working...
                                X