No announcement yet.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive an 1980 320i e21 and I hate my diving board and want to get the e30 plastic bumper on there. any special considerations that i should know about?

I'm new around here and not too well read in specs and model differences etc. any help would be awesome!

Comment

I have an 88is.. so the plastic bumpers should fit perfectly??? because people are also telling me that im going to have to drain the shocks..
      ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
        I have an 88is.. so the plastic bumpers should fit perfectly??? because people are also telling me that im going to have to drain the shocks..
        Plastics will fit perfectly, if you get the shocks that mount to plastic bumpers.

Originally posted by rockstar707
        I drive an 1980 320i e21 and I hate my diving board and want to get the e30 plastic bumper on there. any special considerations that i should know about?

I'm new around here and not too well read in specs and model differences etc. any help would be awesome!
        That's going to be difficult. The e21 is narrower than the e30, and does not have bumper recesses, which will make e30 plastic bumpers look goofy and lumpy even if you manage to do enough bondoing to get them on there. Look into e21 euro bumpers.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Hey rockstar707, search Janderson's posts about his plastic bumper conversion on a pre 88 e30. He does some solid plastics work on the bumpers. I am not familiar, at all, with the e21 but Janderson's posts are a good place to start your research. He also picked up a plastics book, which he thought was useful. Or like kronus said, go euro because it sexy.

Comment

ok. if i wanted to swap my 88 diving board for the plastic... i would still have to drane the shocks? correct?
            ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
              ok. if i wanted to swap my 88 diving board for the plastic... i would still have to drane the shocks? correct?
              No, you'll have to buy the shocks for the plastic bumpers.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

So what bumpers would fit my 1986 E30? Sorry im new here

Comment

Originally posted by ThaiRacer View Post
                  So what bumpers would fit my 1986 E30? Sorry im new here
                  Euro or diving board. Plastic will fit, but be ready for heavy modification for the rear. The front bumper is an easy swap.

Comment

Well i have the metal bumper(diving boards) but where can i get the bottom half of that bumper

Comment

Bumper swap or engine swap? Or don't mix and match this pair?

Say you really like the oem Mtech I kit and euro metal bumpers. But you also really really like the M42 engine. What would be the best way to have both in one car?

Drop the M42 into a early model car then add euro bumpers and the Mtech I kit? Or retrofit euro bumpers and the Mtech I kit to a M42 plastic bumper car? I assume the different rear arches and tails on the late model car would make it a challenge to retrofit euro metal bumpers. Thoughts?
                      sigpic
                      January 2012 COTM

Comment

I would swap the m42 into an early model. Better than hacking up an mtech1 kit IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          I would swap the m42 into an early model. Better than hacking up an mtech1 kit IMO.
                          Thanks, in retrospect, it seems like a pretty silly idea :???:
                          sigpic
                          January 2012 COTM

Comment

I saw all these kits on ebay that say it works from 84-91, So does that mean the plastic lower half of the bumper will work with my Diving boards?? I drive a 1986 325e n just want to know what options i have.

Comment

Its an ebay kit... it wont fit no matter what it says

Comment

I have almost completed my plastic conversion, but I need turn signal sockets. Anyone know where to get a set?

Comment

Working...
                                X