X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
    My mind has been in this all day. Decided to fill in some details. This is still a concept. No dimensions are confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What software is that?

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    My mind has been in this all day. Decided to fill in some details. This is still a concept. No dimensions are confirmed.

I have not spend any more time on it since. Maybe this summer if I have time I might try to do a bench setup to see how it does. kudo to your persuing.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Just finished reading 963 posts here. Started out planning a simple upgrade. Then got sucked into the design of it all.

Dsphil, I dig your train of thought. Here is my idea based off your comments. Not really sure if it would be any sort of improvement, but it is a neat concept.

Nice artwork.

If the dimensions above and below the pivot are the same, it would have the same fore/aft travel as the comparison shifter of similar dimension.
    HOWEVER, it will move significantly farther left/right than a comparably dimensioned stock style shifter.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    My first idea was to get one with a long lower portion; z3m, e60 or Z4 3.0. Then cut the cup off my carrier and weld or bolt that to an aluminum plate and screw that down on top of my tunnel. DIY race car looking stuff. This keeps the longer lower section away from the driveshaft and higher up so it is more in line with the selector rod. The X5 lever would be pretty sweet this way. I would bend it more or less straight.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    That is exactly what I wanted to do, but dont have the resources like cnc or lathe. I bet it shift like butter.

Just finished reading 963 posts here. Started out planning a simple upgrade. Then got sucked into the design of it all.

Dsphil, I dig your train of thought. Here is my idea based off your comments. Not really sure if it would be any sort of improvement, but it is a neat concept.

Leave a comment:

• Victell
    replied
    Ok, even with the likely added vibration, this is definitely a shifter I'd like to try. Only T56 versions though.

Bolt-on sequential shifter conversion: https://www.s1sequential.com/product...hifter-t56-gm/

Originally posted by Victell View Post
    This design transmits all the engine vibration and noise through the shifter. It would be quite significant, especially with an M42. It would probably rattle a shift knob off pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• TheWipprSnappr
    replied
    Found a cheap option for raising the pivot point on super short bmw shift levers.
    Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheWipprSnappr
    replied
    Swapping out the x5 lever to try out the Ireland Engineering SSK. Picture with the a z3 1.9 lever as well for comparisons sake. This was after I bent the IE lever back since it had a bit too much forward lean for me.

Bent the lever the same way I bent the x5, using the upper pipe from my floor jack.

Also I had pulled the adjustable lever up to its tallest height and there was a little play in the bottom so I made a seal out of some electrical tape wrapping it sticky side out so it would slide and then taped over that. Perfect fit and no more wobble. (second pic just taken to show concept)

IE lever has slightly longer bottom end than the x5. Throw is definitely a little shorter but from first impressions it is a slightly harsher shift than the x5, also its probably still a bit stiff.

Leave a comment:

• TheWipprSnappr
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Yep, this is for my m60 with zf swap, and my shifter carrier is top mounted. Chatted with Blunt today and went with the z3 2.8 to give that a shot.
    Since the shifter carrier is top mounted, that brings the shift lever up a good inch or so...so I was hoping to find something that wouldn't be super long but also have some clearance below the ball point as well.

I'll see how this feels once I install it and I'll report back.

Interested in this

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
    I'm running a early model plate shifter that's been mounted inside the car with a Z3 1.9 shifter rod, the setup feels good but there is one problem, 3rd gear is tricky to find which leads to accidental shifts into 5th occasionally.

I've drawn the conclusion that the reason for this is because the selector rod sits higher
    in the back due to the fact that the shift lever is mounted higher inside the chassis.

Would this be the reason for 3rd gear being tricky?

Have you figured this out?

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Yep, this is for my m60 with zf swap, and my shifter carrier is top mounted. Chatted with Blunt today and went with the z3 2.8 to give that a shot.
    Since the shifter carrier is top mounted, that brings the shift lever up a good inch or so...so I was hoping to find something that wouldn't be super long but also have some clearance below the ball point as well.

I'll see how this feels once I install it and I'll report back.

Leave a comment:

• mtech325
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Anyone done a direct comparison of the z3m and e60 545i rod ?

I've mounted the early shift console modified to the top of the transmission tunnel, looking for a shift rod that would w/o hitting the driveshaft below but also have a long enough rod below the ball point .

I am thinking z3-m would work better than z3-1.9 in this case? Or perhaps 545i?
    I've had both in my zf e36. The z3m was too short and notchy for my tastes, so I swapped it out for the 545 lever which is a lot nicer to shift. The z3m lever is both shorter in overall height and hangs lower due to the pivot ball location than the 545 lever. I took a picture on the previous page which shows a comparison of several shift levers to give you an idea.

Is this for the m60 zf? My friend had the 530 zf in his m60 car with the top mounted shifter plate, and it was a very short throw with the 545 lever and shortened selector lever. If I recall correctly, I think the length measurement for the rod was the difference between stock e36 (too short) and stock e34 530 (too long). I would think the z3m lever is going to be REALLY short with that configuration.

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Anyone done a direct comparison of the z3m and e60 545i rod ?

I've mounted the early shift console modified to the top of the transmission tunnel, looking for a shift rod that would w/o hitting the driveshaft below but also have a long enough rod below the ball point .

I am thinking z3-m would work better than z3-1.9 in this case? Or perhaps 545i?

Leave a comment:

• M-technik-3
    replied
    Anyone like the B&M shifter? Find one that came in car is excessively notchy and stiff. Spoiled as I have had the UUC for years in another car and like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X