Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dude8383
    replied
    On a racecar that doesn't matter so much... for the street it would probably get annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Victell
    replied
    This design transmits all the engine vibration and noise through the shifter. It would be quite significant, especially with an M42. It would probably rattle a shift knob off pretty quickly.

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
    I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    That is exactly what I wanted to do, but dont have the resources like cnc or lathe. I bet it shift like butter.

Leave a comment:

• BECKSTER
    replied
    It would be cool to see a video of that setup in action.

Leave a comment:

• dude8383
    replied
    That is a very clever setup!!

Leave a comment:

• raudonis
    replied
    Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    I have been running my custom shifter and noticed that R and 5th gear engagement is not as smooth as I expected to be. The reason is, like all other short shifters, the extra length on the pivot point make going into R and 5th gear in a arkward angle as illustrated in my previous post.

So, I have come up with this design. It can be fully adjustable because the spherical bearing can be set at any length in its pivot point. making it any throw desired.

[ATTACH]112023[/ATTACH]
    I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Simple_Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by ckarsonkidd View Post
    I have the z4 3.0 shifter just installed it today but it was very stiff and notchy wanted to know how to clean up the stiffness makes me feel like I didn't install it right
    You're probably so used to the stock "bag of dicks" shift pattern that you think the Z4 is too notchy. Give it a week.

Leave a comment:

• ckarsonkidd
    replied
    I have the z4 3.0 shifter just installed it today but it was very stiff and notchy wanted to know how to clean up the stiffness makes me feel like I didn't install it right

Leave a comment:

• berlow94
    replied
    It is a brake bias adjustment knob.
    The car has no brake booster and runs dual master cylinders. The knob attaches to a cable that spins the threaded rod actuating both master cylinder.
    It allows me to change my front/rear bias while out on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Lerlitz
    replied
    Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
    What's that next to the shifter ? :) What does it regulate and where did you get it ? :)

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    I have no doubt that it is a fantastic shifter. I am just trying to figure out the geometry behind it. Thanks for the action vid.

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
    It does in fact rotate in that direction.
    As you move the lever left or right the bottom does in fact have a "yaw" to keep it aligned to the tranny.
    If you ever get the chance to try/drive one I'd do it!
    I <3 mine!

I also have an AKG "Motorsport" shifter that I'll be installing in my IX in the next couple months. Even though it's a third the cost I'm sure it will feel very comparable.

https://youtu.be/LOMP1awrHog

Leave a comment:

• berlow94
    replied
    Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    Ok, I had a chance to sketch this the best I can to explain the CAE or equal shifter design has some flaws geometry wise. I don't own one and never try out the CAE shifter, but looking at its design I don't think it fit well with the BMW design drivetrain. So here it is.

When swinging to left or right in R, 1st, or 5th gear, the lever would swing in the x-axis. At the connection between the selector rod and the shifter arm, it does not rotate to align with the selector rod bushing. Where in a stock form, the ball would rotate very slightly. The way the CAE design seem only has fixed straight angle rotations.

If the shifter is in tight tolerance, something got to give somewhere. It could be in the plastic bushings or something is going to break. Maybe CAE already incoporated some rotations at the pivot point. I don't know. Just my observations.

[ATTACH]112022[/ATTACH]

It does in fact rotate in that direction.
    As you move the lever left or right the bottom does in fact have a "yaw" to keep it aligned to the tranny.
    If you ever get the chance to try/drive one I'd do it!
    I <3 mine!

I also have an AKG "Motorsport" shifter that I'll be installing in my IX in the next couple months. Even though it's a third the cost I'm sure it will feel very comparable.

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    I have been running my custom shifter and noticed that R and 5th gear engagement is not as smooth as I expected to be. The reason is, like all other short shifters, the extra length on the pivot point make going into R and 5th gear in a arkward angle as illustrated in my previous post.

So, I have come up with this design. It can be fully adjustable because the spherical bearing can be set at any length in its pivot point. making it any throw desired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7189391

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    Ok, I had a chance to sketch this the best I can to explain the CAE or equal shifter design has some flaws geometry wise. I don't own one and never try out the CAE shifter, but looking at its design I don't think it fit well with the BMW design drivetrain. So here it is.

When swinging to left or right in R, 1st, or 5th gear, the lever would swing in the x-axis. At the connection between the selector rod and the shifter arm, it does not rotate to align with the selector rod bushing. Where in a stock form, the ball would rotate very slightly. The way the CAE design seem only has fixed straight angle rotations.

If the shifter is in tight tolerance, something got to give somewhere. It could be in the plastic bushings or something is going to break. Maybe CAE already incoporated some rotations at the pivot point. I don't know. Just my observations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7189390

Leave a comment:

• ngampleh
    replied
    yes, its precise shifting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X