• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
    It's amazing!
    The throw is a little too short for my opinion. Definitely shorter than my CAE in my other car.

If you do go with the AKG in an IX, you have to grind a little off the bottom of where the shifter attaches to the selector rod and shim the shifter itself up from the tranny tunnel about 3mm.
    Otherwise it will hit the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 flat brim ball caps.

Leave a comment:

• TheWipprSnappr
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    how do you like it?
    Actually like it a lot, I like the throw and its not too notchy and gears are easy to find. Also I like that the shifter is close and I don't have to go reaching very far.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    how do you like it?

Leave a comment:

• TheWipprSnappr
    replied
    I installed an x5 shift lever with my recent 5 speed swap.
    Lever still has some bend in it. I bent it about halfway to straight from its original angle.

Here are some pics of the shifter throw (1st, N, 2nd)

Leave a comment:

• ngampleh
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    I never realized the AKG bolts straight to the body and eliminates the shift support rod entirely.

Does it move around noticeably as the engine/trans move around on the mounts?

Or do you have your driveline poly/solid mounted?
    I used e28m5 motor mount & e21 trans mount with cup.
    Didnt notice move trans + motor
    Last edited by ngampleh; 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I never realized the AKG bolts straight to the body and eliminates the shift support rod entirely.

Does it move around noticeably as the engine/trans move around on the mounts?

Or do you have your driveline poly/solid mounted?

Leave a comment:

• ngampleh
    replied
    Here my solidshifter...

DSSR

35mm throw from N to gear

Video :
    Last edited by ngampleh; 07-18-2017, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• berlow94
    replied
    Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
    Hey berlow how is the AKG in the IX? Threw a z3 1.9 lever in mine but still not satisfied with the tightness.

It's amazing!
    The throw is a little too short for my opinion. Definitely shorter than my CAE in my other car.

If you do go with the AKG in an IX, you have to grind a little off the bottom of where the shifter attaches to the selector rod and shim the shifter itself up from the tranny tunnel about 3mm.
    Otherwise it will hit the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ThatM20Guy
    replied
    Hey berlow how is the AKG in the IX? Threw a z3 1.9 lever in mine but still not satisfied with the tightness.

Leave a comment:

• cspec
    replied
    Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
    Here's a recent picture I took of all the levers I've personally tried. The only one that required a bend was the Z3-M since it sits the most upright in stock form.

Sorry if the picture is overly large.

From left to right (stock e30, stock e36, e60 545i, and Z3-M w/bend):
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• BECKSTER
    replied
    I'm running a early model plate shifter that's been mounted inside the car with a Z3 1.9 shifter rod, the setup feels good but there is one problem, 3rd gear is tricky to find which leads to accidental shifts into 5th occasionally.

I've drawn the conclusion that the reason for this is because the selector rod sits higher
    in the back due to the fact that the shift lever is mounted higher inside the chassis.

Would this be the reason for 3rd gear being tricky?
    Last edited by BECKSTER; 06-10-2017, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mtech325
    replied
    Here's a recent picture I took of all the levers I've personally tried. The only one that required a bend was the Z3-M since it sits the most upright in stock form.

Sorry if the picture is overly large.

From left to right (stock e30, stock e36, e60 545i, and Z3-M w/bend):
    Last edited by mtech325; 06-09-2017, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cspec
    replied
    I went through the thread and found conflicting comments on which shifter needs bends or not.

I have a 325ic, and want to get a SSK. Which ones do not need a bend?

Leave a comment:

• Victell
    replied
    Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    If the engine is health, it doesn't rattle at all. I am running a daily solid shifter with bronze bushings with no problems except for the extra effort in certain gears.
    My guess is that your solid shifter setup is still attached in the rear at the body, so its not a full transmission mount like this setup. The half body mount still provides some insulation.

The rattle I'm referring to is about vibration. The M20, like most straight 6 engines, are pretty smooth as their design is inherently balanced. 4cyls on the other hand have a harder time with it. The M42 has lots of vibration, especially because it doesnt use balance shafts to counter any of it. I still remember using e28 rubber motor mounts on in my 318is (OEM m42 mounts are liquid-filled and expensive). The vibration was ridiculous and I went back to OEM.

The rubber isolation that BMW and other manufacturers design into shifters is to insulate the cabin from these vibrations. Unfiltered M42 vibrations might actually make the shifter more difficult to use.

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    If the engine is health, it doesn't rattle at all. I am running a daily solid shifter with bronze bushings with no problems except for the extra effort in certain gears.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X