Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
    ok guys. eta here what do u recommend??
    I have an M Coupe shifter in my Eta. P/N #..254.

I recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Did you replace the bushings when you did your shifter?
      If this is refering to me i have not touched anything yet

Comment

The part number for the Z3 3.0 is 25111222884 since i didnt see it there.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          OK, I bent the lever so that it sits centered in the console at neutral. Ahhh. Refreshing.
          How did you bend the lever? I'd like mine to sit centered as well, but I don't want to screw up the pivot ball by throwing it in a vice or something and marring it.

Comment

I got the Z3M coupe shifter and love it. I modified if some though. First I bent the shifter. To do this I used 3 large sockets and a big vice. Place two sockets on one side and one on the other where you want the bend to be, then tighten the vice untill you get the desired bend. Next I took a blow torch to the upper paet of the shifter and heated it until the ruber got soft, then pull until it comes apart. Remove rubber with a knife. Cut off 1 inch from both paert of the shifter. Take quick steel or mighty putty and fill the upper part with it and push it onto the lower part, I highly suggest placeing a shift knob on it first to make suer everything lines up right. Shifter complete. Next you need to add weight to the selector rod. This is easy. Wrap the rod with soldering wire. You can get two layers on it. Then wrap it with electrical tape. This takes away some of the notchy-ness. The weighted M knob helps a lot as well. I also suggest getting delerin bushings for the carrier arm.
            Originally posted by KingB
            Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

I swear I dont understand why everyone has to bend their levers.. I havent had to bend one to work after installing them in about 15 cars. Even my eta with the big guibo has plenty of clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
                I swear I dont understand why everyone has to bend their levers.. I havent had to bend one to work after installing them in about 15 cars. Even my eta with the big guibo has plenty of clearance.
                You don't have to.. but your shifter won't be center either.

Comment

^^My shifters are centered. I've had none of the "normal" issues.

Comment

I've got a z3 1.9 in my eta, bushings replaced, then topped off with a UUC rk2 knob [somewhat weighted]

and a clutch stop too, might as well.

throw is shorter but still relatively smooth, i personally think i could go shorter and notchier but this is a DD car, and i really like the 1.9s feel

..highly recommended

Comment

I'm thinking of installing a z4 2.5 kit from BMA into my '91 318i.

One thing I'm concerned with, I have the understanding that stock E30 shifters have a bend in the lever. The z4 is straight, will that result in an off-center @ neutral lever after installation?

Comment

i believe the 2.5 moves ur shift pattern slightly up and to the right by about half an inch. If you read the whole thread (which i did a couple days ago its a doozy i know) the answer should be in there somewhere. i might be referring to the 3.0 but for sure someone mentioned it in the thread.....well good luck hopefully someone answers you before u have to resort to that fossil dig :-P

P.S. anyone have a quick write up for taking the harmonic balancer off. i have read its an easy 3 bolts then i read you have to take your car apart to do it so i am confused now.

Comment

It's 3 bolts, but it's not an easy 3 bolts, they're a pain in the ass to get to. Be patient and it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by evilnickwong View Post
                            I'm thinking of installing a z4 2.5 kit from BMA into my '91 318i.

One thing I'm concerned with, I have the understanding that stock E30 shifters have a bend in the lever. The z4 is straight, will that result in an off-center @ neutral lever after installation?
                            Moved it up slightly...

Comment

For what it's worth, I just installed the z4 2.5 shift lever kit from BMA and it's awesome. Shifts are shorter, a little tighter, and it feels great. Didn't have to bend anything (even with a harmonic balancer), just took the stock shift lever out and put the new bushing and lever in.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

So which one would give me the shortest throw without having to remove/modify anything such as the harmonic balancer in an 88 325is?
                                88 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X