DIY - All Red Taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer dnova89...

Follow the work process of td325ic youre bound to get good results if youre patient
    and follow along. I edited his instructions to be as clear cut as possible.

All red tail lights based on method used by td325ic.

1. Mask all but amber portion of your lights.
    2. First spray 3 light coats on the amber.
    3. Unmask and mask off reverse light.
    4. Sprayed the whole light with 2 medium coats.
    5. Remove masking of reverse light.
    6. Wait a few days for Metalcast paint to cure.
    7. Spray with SprayMax 2-part Urethane Clear Coat Aerosol over entire light.
    8. Wait a few days for the urethane clear to cure.
    9. Wet-sand with 1500 - 2000.
    10. Polish out sanding scratches with 3M Rubbing Compound and orange foam pad.
    11. Finish off with Menzerna Micro Polish and Gray foam pad.

I'll be following these directions as soon as i can pic up a nice extra set of tails.
    Last edited by dvck; 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

1) Mask off light around Amber turn and on the clear reverse light (disregard if you're deleting the reverse light)
      2) Duplicolor Metalcast Red 2-3 coats on the Amber turn with 10 minutes inbetween
      3) Unmask light no longer than 10 minutes after last coat applied (except reverse light if applicable)
      4) Within 10-15 minutes spray entire light to desired "red" shade

5) Remove masking tape and let light cure for 5-7 days (heavily dependant on temperature - I place mine in front of a gas fireplace, about 2' away for 2-4 days before step 6)
      6) Light wet-sand after "cured" with 800-1500 grit
      7) Wash with mild soap/water mixture and let dry
      8) Spray entire light with clear of your choice (SprayMax 2-part Urethane Clear is a good product) in 1 light coat followed within 10 minutes by 1 medium and 1 'wet' coat (use your judgement on this so as to not get any sags in the paint)
      9) Let cure for 3-7 days (again, temperature dependant)
      10) Wet-sand with 2000-2500 grit
      11) Polish and buff out

As for products, I'm not sure what these pro's use (ZM Blue Devil and td325ic).
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

did you find that the clear adheres that much better when you sand after the red
        is cured?
        also i think i'd be tempted to use a finer grit count on the red, 1500-2000?
        sigpic

Comment

Adheres, I don't know. The metal cast has a gloss in it and I prefer to get the color I want, knock the clear in the metal cast off and then use the final (urethane) clear as my finish/top coat. On two sets of lights, I polished on the final step and didn't bother with nearly any sanding except where I had a sag.

The finer grit the better. I used 800 on my first set and 1500 on the second. Couldn't see a difference in the final product.
          Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! Gonna start it as soon as my spraymax gets in, I'll post pics when I'm done.
            -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

That candy apple red looks on the spot. No ugly blotches. Very Nice
              __________________________________________________ ______________________

FT:FS 2001.5 S4

Comment

do i clear coat the reverse light too.. or keep that masked(tapped) and clear the whole light exept the reverse light?

Comment

Bump :)

Comment

Clear coat the entire lens, it will look funny if you don't.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber E30 View Post
                      Mine with Model Masters transparent black:

How many coats of MM transparent black?

Thanks

Comment

redout looks lighter in real life ;P

Comment

Originally posted by idobref View Post

redout looks lighter in real life ;P
                          awesome pic man

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                            Clear coat the entire lens, it will look funny if you don't.
                            ^^
                            sigpic
                            My first car. Bought July 1st/10
                            Working on fixing a bunch of little problems with the car right now.

Comment

What's the best paint remover to use on this? I want to re do mine...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RobertB View Post
                                What's the best paint remover to use on this? I want to re do mine...

Thanks
                                I hafta redo my coupe ones as well but I was gonna resand it them down.

COTM

Comment

Working...
                                X