Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maacckjaacckkk08
    replied
    Hello I have read your thread but could not understand it. I think I should do more research on this so that I can answer this.
    -------------------------------
    Top ten Classified Website

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Originally posted by CirrusblauS52 View Post
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1394419384

Time to revitalize this thread. I think this picture sums up the source of my leak. The car was recently repainted and I think they inadvertently sealed up the driver side rocker drains when they applied new undercoating/paint to the rocker panels.
    Great pic! Thanks. Will take this to the body shop when getting the rusty rockers fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Corsair89
    replied
    Sorry to bump this again but I've a question. Mine is leaking only on the pass side. It first shows up in the glove box and also in the rear near the seam by the fuel tank. So where the two carpet pieces meet. Any idea what's causing the leak? I'm loath to pull the dash and find the glove box one but will do so if needed. Please help. Also I do have to r2 the windshield so that could also be part of my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CirrusblauS52
    replied

Time to revitalize this thread. I think this picture sums up the source of my leak. The car was recently repainted and I think they inadvertently sealed up the driver side rocker drains when they applied new undercoating/paint to the rocker panels.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    This is the best picture I could find...that shows exactly where everything is. Thanks Striker. I had read that the front sunroof drains dump out of the fender holes but they don't. They actually dump inside the rocker sills where the water eventually finds its way out through the two rocker drains. Problem is, they are hard to find and can easily be clogged or crushed. People who do bodywork on these cars probably don't put much thought into the sunroof drains.

1. I would replace and/or grease the sunroof gasket to minimize the amount of water that gets passed it.
    2. Perhaps elongate the hose and enlarge the 'fore' drain so that the hose now dumps outside the car or just drill a new hole and rust proof it. I believe Luke mentioned this and it's a good idea if you live in a wet climate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chriskbmx
    replied
    where exactly are the rocker drains located on the car? any diagrams?

Leave a comment:

• Striker01
    replied
    I know this an old thread but while trying to fix my door sills I took some pictures that may help someone out in the future. The rocker drains are along the pinch weld of the inner and outer sill. If there is water coming from the firewall area, they are not the problem.

The only place I had any rust around grommets from the firewall is where the hood cable comes thru. It is a bitch to get to but may be the problem if you have water coming down near the kick panel and your wiper area seam sealer is good.

Leave a comment:

• arthb7
    replied
    Sorry to bump an old thread! I have a question

I too have the famous leak that gets my interior floor boards wet and it drives me nuts. So I was thinking of an easy solution to keep the water out of the car.

Option 1 was to weld the sunroof (Disadvantage a lot of body work)

Option 2 Try to clean rocker drains and drill new holes (Disadvantage water would still be present in the rocker area and moisture will be present)

Option 3 Cut the front sun roof drains at the speaker area and attach a rubber hose that will go outside the car then seal off all the other holes.

Technically only about 10% of the water gets through the sunroof seal (if it’s a new seal) so in my opinion option 3 is the one to go with.

Anyone try this yet? Feedback appreciated

Leave a comment:

• dougie30
    replied
    Originally posted by NLM Hollywood View Post
    Like many, I also have E30 water issues and although I don't have the problem solved yet, I have pulled the interior and partially identified where the water is leaking in. I've pulled apart the area under the wipers and identified there really wan't much of any dirt/debris in there. I did add an elephant trunk as mine was missing and this has changed nothing. Tempted to say my issue has got to be the rocker panel drains (or lack of) too. I'll include my pics as they may be useful for others.

Drivers side

Pass side
    The same apply for you! I had the EXACT same leak, it is the seam sealer in your drain tray that is cracking.

Leave a comment:

• dougie30
    replied
    Originally posted by E30vertPA View Post
    Man i wish the pics would work now, i need to find my leak!

Edit see some now. I guess im gonna have to pull the carpet, i get a huge puddle on driverside in front and a tad in back and then the opposite on the passeneger side. Puddles in back and less in front.
    Your leaks Are coming from where the wiper motor is located. Pop out the plastic mesh cover and try to look closer to the fender, you will see there is seam sealer on the bottom that runs along the drain and I'm 99% sure that it is cracking on your car and that is where your leak is coming from.

To fix it: pull off your fender and you will see a triangular shaped cut out near the top right of where your fender was. Go to a Walmart or something and grab some quick seal and re-seal the seam sealer at the bottom of the drain where the triangle meets. This should fix your driver and passenger side leaks.

Leave a comment:

• gjk494
    replied
    Car is a '90 325is. I have the same problem as many here have described:

Driver and passenger rear carpet is soaked and the side wells of the trunk are filled with water (the left side has a huge block of ice right now)

I can see the holes for the front drains when I open the sunroof but I cannot see the rear drains from the sunroof. I can however see where the rear drains exit in the trunk.

Looking for advice here before I blow 100+psi air through the lines:

Should I try blowing the rear lines from the trunk and the front lines from the roof?

Leave a comment:

• NeoMishMoo
    replied
    ^ Probably rusty floorboard. If there is more water in the back than front. But not sure if you have more in the driver's front or in the back? Pulling carpet is definitely a good idea however it will be quite heavy if it is saturated and you won't really be able to pull it out all the way easily. When I finally pulled mine I just cut it out around the center console. Then again mine's a beater and I was a lazy teenager at the time.

Leave a comment:

• E30vertPA
    replied
    Man i wish the pics would work now, i need to find my leak!

Edit see some now. I guess im gonna have to pull the carpet, i get a huge puddle on driverside in front and a tad in back and then the opposite on the passeneger side. Puddles in back and less in front.
    Last edited by E30vertPA; 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Black 88
    replied
    All the photos on this page are still there. What are you looking for?

Leave a comment:

• Dalejandrino
    replied
    The photos don't work anymore! is there any way I can see them?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X