Water Leaks = Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She Loves 2 Leak

Great thread! My '88is has a drip when hosed down that comes off the handle that opens the hood and pools on the driver side, and another leak that fills the rear passenger area with water. (My firewall is cracked & decomposing...any thoughts?) Last week I had to bail water out of the jack compartment in the trunk, and it was dripping wet inside the trunk. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me on the next sunny day :???:

What it isn't: the elephant trunk, I've pulled that.
    Fear is not an option

Comment

It came to my attention that the seal at the bottom corner of the windshield on the driver side often shrinks and leaves a gap between the body and seal that allows water to soak the carpet.

I have a continually wet carpet under my feet. I think I might caulk it. I don't see any way around it, save for R&R of the whole windshield seal.
      -Peter
      '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
      '91 318is slicktop project
      '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
      '00 Tundra

Comment

If you guys are parking with the front of the car lower than the rear then you may have water pooling around the trunk seal and getting in that way. I opened the trunk with it raining and the car nose-down on a sloped driveway and these two corners were filled with water and it was leaking between the seal and the trunk, filling up both sides with water. The green circled areas are what I'm talking about. I borrowed this pic.

Last edited by Striker01; 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Striker,

Is there a fix that you found? R/R the trunk seal?

Host that pic on photobucket or what have you so we can see ...
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
            Striker,

Is there a fix that you found? R/R the trunk seal?

Host that pic on photobucket or what have you so we can see ...

Haven't tried to fix it yet, my driveway slopes up and I just don't back-up it anymore.

Comment

That is a cheap fix ....
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Same problem !

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                I have the same thing from time to time. I think it's a leak around the heater core.

I have tried to fix this leak twice now. From the inside and the outside.

I have used a silicone thing. and it seems to be ok for a little while before it start leaking again.

I live in Norway, and it rains a lot so I am desperate to get a fix for this.

I have once taken out the dash to take a look. And Can not say I want to take it out once more !

Comment

Big trouble around the fan housing through the firewall. Could crack seal fix it? I have tried silicone, works a while... but suddenly its wet under the carpet again
                  Last edited by oysrell; 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

i was getting water in the trunk (both underneath the battery) & the jack side. Pool of it.

Turns out 95% of it was coming in from the plastic grommets that hold the C-pillar trim in place. It was such a miniscule gap in the grommet, but was enough to fill up that trunk in one rain storm.

The other source of water I figured out (on the battery tray side)....was the gas door lock area. When you open the gas door, you'll see this black rubber stopper (held in w/ 2 philips screws). I took a hose to it...and good enough water was coming in from there.
                    www.instagram.com/snwmble
                    #snwmble

Current:
                    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

^^^^^^^^
                      I've been having the same problem in my trunk.. Both side trunk trays were filled; jack and battery side.
                      Turns out my problem on the jack side was a lack of aN antenna grommet. Since my antenna didnt work, I just took that thing out and taped it up with electrical tape while I wait for Jaywood's plug to come in. It still leaks though, but I've sourced the problem to my trunk weatherstripping. There's no silicone, so it's letting in water drips from time to time. Not an alarming amount, maybe a drip here or there every 10 minutes, but still enough to set my OCD sensors off lol

For my battery tray, I was getting a huge leak after every storm. Turns out the drain plug on the bottom of the tray broke off and left a huge hole right in the bottom of my trunk. Luckily, one bolt, 2 washers, some silicon black, a nut, and a little of rattle can job of black paint later, the leak is no more.. I'll check again after the rain lets up to see if ive diagnosed these problems fully.

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                        For my battery tray, I was getting a huge leak after every storm. Turns out the drain plug on the bottom of the tray broke off and left a huge hole right in the bottom of my trunk. Luckily, one bolt, 2 washers, some silicon black, a nut, and a little of rattle can job of black paint later, the leak is no more.. I'll check again after the rain lets up to see if ive diagnosed these problems fully.
                        So here you're saying essentially that there was a hole in the bottom of the trunk where water was coming in? How is this even possible for water to come in from below where the battery is, if it would just drain out that hole.
                        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

ok so 2 questions, could these drains being clogged make my front drivers side and passengers side floor wet?

and (noob question) were and what is a rocker?
                          M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                            ok so 2 questions, could these drains being clogged make my front drivers side and passengers side floor wet?

and (noob question) were and what is a rocker?
                            RI car? Do you have significant amt of rust on the car? My money is that the area where the wheel well and the floor of the car meet is rusted thru.

see pics in the link below (under front carpet) & most likely visible behind the front wheels

#snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              RI car? Do you have significant amt of rust on the car? My money is that the area where the wheel well and the floor of the car meet is rusted thru.

see pics in the link below (under front carpet) & most likely visible behind the front wheels

haha damn dude you were spot on. yes a RI car and yes where the QP meets the floor board is rusted through on BOTH sides...
                              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                                haha damn dude you were spot on. yes a RI car and yes where the QP meets the floor board is rusted through on BOTH sides...
                                lol sorry to hear. see it too often g/l sorting it out
                                #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                                X