rear wheel bearing job w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel bearing job w pics

I did this with the help of Joe/Justin. And with air tools and the proper tools the job went alot faster. So you jack up your car, take wheel off, brake caliper off, rotor off, and the center nut (30mm). **there is a locking dust cap on the center nut which needs to be removed** After this remove the 6 hex bolts that hold the half shaft to the diff. Then you get to this pic where the hub is exposed and the axle stub in the hub is ready to be pounded out. ***I should also add that to ease the aide of this process on the drivers side, the exhaust should be dropped.

Unbolt shock

Heres my hack repair job of my ripped cv boot.

Halfshaft knocked out with a center punch. We were lucky it came out easily.

Knock hub out from behind with something about the size of the diameter of the hub and smaller than the diameter of the inner race of the wheel bearing

heres what you will be looking at, basically the splined shiny portion is the hub to be knocked out

Heres your wheel bearing. We were lucky again b/c the inner race did not stick on the hub. However I had bought a extra hub incase this happened. Turned out this saved us alot of time on the other side.

Then we have a pic of the $$$$tool set that makes this a 15min job

You basically fit a hollow diameter tube bigger than the outer race of the wheel bearing, and another behind the trailer arm. Two circular plates fit over the tubes and a big ass bolt goes through the center. a nut goes through the bolt. When you tighten the nut, the bearing gets pressed out toward you.

Bearing out!

Sorry crappy view from behind showing the holding plate that will draw the bearing back in.

New bearing in!

Installing locking circlip

Installing hub. Same concept as before. Plate over hub to draw it into the wheel bearing, except this time the plate on the OPPOSITE side is only bigger than the INNER diameter of the wheel bearing.

Opposite side view

Hub In

After this reinstall your rotor, calipers.
    I replaced my half shafts with remanufactured ones while I was at it. When reinstalling the halfshafts, you can pound it in from the differential end, just make sure the splines on the hub and halfshaft are clean. Also make sure to put ANTISEIZE on the splines. It should go in fairly easily. Also make sure your pounding the shaft in straight into the hub. Then bolt the shaft up to the diff. Reinstall your exhaust and your done... There were some complications I should note that which I'll add later on.
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Hello I have two questions, first is what did you applied to the splines a "anti siezed" why not high temp grease? Second did you put the rear wheel bearings into the freezer or dry ice hours before installing? Thanks and great info....

Comment

Originally posted by e30bimmer View Post
      Hello I have two questions, first is what did you applied to the splines a "anti siezed" why not high temp grease? Second did you put the rear wheel bearings into the freezer or dry ice hours before installing? Thanks and great info....

grease wont do the same thing that anti-seize will. And the freezer trick does help a bit with the install so that would be a good idea to help speed up the job.

Taylor
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

i think the freezer idea is goofy. with that tool ive never had an issue.

Comment

dont take the cv's apart

Originally posted by vlad
          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I hope you replaced that CV boot.

Good write up overall!

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
              I hope you replaced that CV boot.

Good write up overall!
              Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
              I replaced my half shafts with remanufactured ones while I was at it...

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

are rear wheel bearings really an issue with BMWs? (wondering if I need to worry on my e30 with 240M miles)

I can't recall ever seeing a rear wheel bearing "go" before--in 50 years of driving.

Comment

It is a common problem on some e30,s mine both were replaced at 240k miles. they were both shot. I also replaced both cv axles, calipers, brakes, control arm bushings while it was apart. I wish I had farmed mine out because this was not a fun job. I had all the proper tools and have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge. This was a very good informative thread BTW

Comment

Don't waste 300 and something dollars on a BMW bearing puller. Chances are that you will only use the puller once in 10 years. Once you get the hub out, spray the entire bearing with a lot of penetrating oil. I used Loctite Freeze and release. Let it soak for 10 mins. Get a 46mm socket and a 3lb club hammer and pound the crap from the inside out the bearing race assemble. Don't worry if the rear inner race and bearings fall out. Clean it out and keep pounding.

Comment

That tool is bitchin! how much did it cost you?

Comment

SIR Tools Hub/Bearing Extractor and Installer Kit. InStock Ships Today! $406.60. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# PEL TOL SIRB90 B1 PEL.TOL.SIRB90.B1 PELTOLSIRB90B1. 635CSi, 633CSi, 540i, 535i, 533i, 530i, 528e, 525i, 524td, 328is, 328i, 325is, 325i, 325, 323is, 323i, 318ti, 318is, 318i.

Comment

My car actually needed them done for about 10k miles before I bought her (at 248k on the odo). The guy threw in the bearings as it was a PIA to change them. Since I'm a noob I worked side by side with a guy who's a great mechanic to learn how to do it ... that nifty tool set would have made my day.
                          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Nice info thanks for sharing.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Same idea as on my brothers A4 quattro. We rent the tool you used at my work for free.
                              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X