No announcement yet.

rear wheel bearing job w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tapped mine as well but I guess it destroyed the housing and my CV joint started to leak!

Comment

You probably pinched the boot between your hammer and the joint body and ripped it.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Just did these tonight. Took me longer to unbolt the halfshafts than to do the actual bearings. I went to Harbor Freight, picked up a two-foot breaker bar, a couple of large sockets, and the press tool for a little over $100. I'm still amazed at how easy it actually turned out to be. Last time I did these it was on an old Audi and took an entire weekend.

Harbor Freight lists the tool as being used for "front wheel bearings" but it works perfectly.

Almost ready for track season :pimp:
        -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
        '95 525iT
        '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
        '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
          Just did these tonight. Took me longer to unbolt the halfshafts than to do the actual bearings. I went to Harbor Freight, picked up a two-foot breaker bar, a couple of large sockets, and the press tool for a little over $100. I'm still amazed at how easy it actually turned out to be. Last time I did these it was on an old Audi and took an entire weekend.

Harbor Freight lists the tool as being used for "front wheel bearings" but it works perfectly.

Almost ready for track season :pimp:
          Great to hear especially for an older northern example.

These?:
          Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

If so, I'll be adding them to my garage soon.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
          Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Actually, it's a Texas car so it's stupid clean underneath :mrgreen:

Yeah that's the tool. Only $70.00 in the store as opposed to the $80 online price!
            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
            '95 525iT
            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
            '98 Disco 1

Comment

Did mine today. Followed the write-up got the tool from Harbor Freight and the bearing was swapped out in about an hour(if that.)

One note...the axle nut on the car was 30mm, but the one included with the bearing was 32mm.

Also, I used the 30mm socket and an 8" extension to drive out the wheel hub. Worked great.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.

sigpic

Comment

FWIW I used a 1/2" impact gun on the tool for mine. Made the job EASSSSSSSSSY.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

On the subject of wheel bearings... My pass rear bearing is bad and makes a "whum whum whum whum" noise especially when there is a sideways load on the wheel, less so going straight. While I plan to replace it very soon, it may be a few weeks before I can do it... so the question is.... what will happen if a worn out bearing is not replaced? Wheel falls off? axle gets destroyed? Bearing seizes up? Just curious on worst case scenario :D
                  '88 325ic - Vert in winter baby!
                  '91 318is - Gone :(
                  '95 530i - Gone :(

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBMW View Post
                    On the subject of wheel bearings... My pass rear bearing is bad and makes a "whum whum whum whum" noise especially when there is a sideways load on the wheel, less so going straight. While I plan to replace it very soon, it may be a few weeks before I can do it... so the question is.... what will happen if a worn out bearing is not replaced? Wheel falls off? axle gets destroyed? Bearing seizes up? Just curious on worst case scenario :D
                    I ran on my bad wheel bearing for about 3000 miles. Worst case scenario is probably that the bearing disintegrates and the hub is ruined. I think the axle would be fine because it doesn't touch the bearing. I think you should be fine for a few weeks, though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I put probably 5-6k on my bad wheel bearing. I figured it'd destroy some things, but other than being a pain to get the inner race off of the hub (had to slice it off with a die grinder) everything was fine. New bearing in, nice quite ride after.

Comment

I just ordered mine from this site. Lifetime warranty and $55 for both sides.

quick question, can I reuse my snap rings?

Comment

nice. I'll be buying that bearing tool shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by whysimon View Post
                            quick question, can I reuse my snap rings?
                            Mine came with a new snap ring and axle nut.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi guys, it's been a while for me, so go easy ...

Must I swap-out bearings after replacing halfshafts ?

Asking since I replaced bearings not long ago (miles wise).

Mahalo,
                              Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                                Hi guys, it's been a while for me, so go easy ...

Must I swap-out bearings after replacing halfshafts ?

Asking since I replaced bearings not long ago (miles wise).

Mahalo,
                                Frank
                                No, only if they're making noise. Spin them by hand and see if you feel any notchiness or play in the bearings. If so, replace them, if not, keep rollin'.

Comment

Working...
                                X