Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks e30Matt. :)

Comment

Well I guess I need to change my rear wheel bearings, passernger side is making noise,

The bearings have 525k miles on them. LOL

Comment

This process looks nearly identical to the procedure for front bearings on a VW MkIV. The big difference being half of the bearing will stay with the hub when you pull the hub out, so there's some extra steps involved.

I have an OTC hub-tamer set, which I'm sure will do these bearings as well.

Oddly enough, for the MINI, they went to an assembly where the hub and bearing bolt to the carrier. Much faster to replace, but the downside is it's much more expensive.

I'm curious if the E30 has a the same whacky hub-nut tightening procedure as the MINI and VW do...
        '88 325is: Diamond Schwartz; 210K miles; Koni SA; H&R springs; poly bushings (sold)
        '03 TDi Wagon; 5 spd (Ho-hum DD; 326K miles and counting...)
        '64 Morris Mini Cooper (w/e vintage toy #1)
        '72 Triumph GT6 (w/e vintage toy #2)
        '73 Volvo 1800ES (future vintage restomod project)

Comment

Quick question - does it matter which side of the bearing goes in first? Mine are FAG bearings like in this picture and they have a bit of a "lip" on one edge.
          Attached Files
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

I also would like to know as my FAG bearing came in today. Also, I have read all the posts I can find about this job but would like to know about a definitive list of tools needed to do the job properly and easily.
            I plan to get the harbor freight bearing set and rent any other tools I need. Suggestions?

Comment

i have a question with diagnosing, i'm sure it's the rear but i wanna be sure.

so when i put any load (accelerate, engine braking) i don't hear anything. But when i let it out of gear and coast with "no load" it makes an annoying sound. I can't quite pinpoint whether it's coming from the front or rear. would that suggest it's the rear?

well at least i'm subbing incase i have to do this before school starts up again

Comment

Is it a high pitch whine that lowers in pitch with deceleration?
                If so, earlier on in this thread someone said that it was most likely a worn differential. I am replacing my diff fluid today to see if it remedies the problem.

Comment

not exactly, well not at all actually lol it almost sounds like I have a nail in my tire and it hits the pavement as it rotates only when I coast

Comment

Nice DIY, the kits are around 150. I think that is too much, they can be made from a long bolt and large washers and think metal pipe like the one pictured. I made mine for under 10 bucks.
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

So I've been battling these damn rear wheel bearings all week after work. (pretty much). First, getting the hub out was a real pain in the ass. Now, I'm putting bearings back in, and something just seems off. I have the harbor freight tool and I am pushing on the outer race for sure. First, I'm really having to crank the ratchet to move this damn bearing in. It is a tight mf-er. Am i doing something wrong? I mean, it was going in a bit slanted, but I fixed that with a few taps of the hammer. Now it's straight and it still refuses to obey my command to go in... advice, tips? I want this bitch done. ugh.
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                        So I've been battling these damn rear wheel bearings all week after work. (pretty much). First, getting the hub out was a real pain in the ass. Now, I'm putting bearings back in, and something just seems off. I have the harbor freight tool and I am pushing on the outer race for sure. First, I'm really having to crank the ratchet to move this damn bearing in. It is a tight mf-er. Am i doing something wrong? I mean, it was going in a bit slanted, but I fixed that with a few taps of the hammer. Now it's straight and it still refuses to obey my command to go in... advice, tips? I want this bitch done. ugh.
                        Nevermind...I just grew some cojones and kept cranking. Both bearings in now and just got one hub in. Hub went in a lot easier than the bearing, THATS for sure. lol

Thank goodness...almost to the final stretch!

Now...to take care of everything else on the car...lol
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
                          I think that is too much, they can be made from a long bolt and large washers and think metal pipe like the one pictured. I made mine for under 10 bucks.
                          Pics and guide on making this cheap tool?

Guess I will have to buy the tool online from harbor freight seeing as how the local harbor freight here is super tiny and has a very limited selection, wonder if anyone would have this tool for rent?

Originally posted by BlueBMW View Post
                          .... what will happen if a worn out bearing is not replaced? Wheel falls off? axle gets destroyed? Bearing seizes up? Just curious on worst case scenario
                          Bearings going bad should last you a few weeks if not months, supposedly they will lock up causing you to crash, at least that is what the mechanic told me after returning promptly after a test drive because my bearings were "so bad they scared him." That was 3 weeks ago. Been driving my car daily until I get some time next weekend to put new bearings in. Bottom line is that these cars will go a long way on "bad" bearings under normal driving conditions.
                          Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM.
                          West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                          ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

thought I would post this up to show people how to make their own wheel bearing puller/press. I did this on my porsche 964 and will be doing this on my 325e in a couple days:

964 Forum - wheel bearing puller - home made - Recently I had to change my drivers rear wheel bearing, but didn't want to wait for porsche certified tool. So I made a few measurements, and headed to Home Depot to see what I could find. Figured I would share these parts for any interested parties. Total cost was about...

BUY a BIGGER threaded rod than what he used though... makes it alot easier.

Question: what size is the rear axle nut on a 1984 325e?
                            -84 325e 158k
                            -06 suzuki drz 400sm

Comment

should of left the axle on and use a jaw puller to pull hub out.

Comment

I couldn’t source the puller/installer tool locally.
                                Dug into box of plumbing-part tools used to get rear subframe bushings out..

3-jaw to push axles out. Sledge and large socket with extension used to drive out hubs.

Bearings also pounded out

The plumbing-parts tool was finicky to use - but it worked.

Tools used. (3-jaw puller not shown) Long, needle-nose pliers used for lock rings.

Not one of the more fun jobs.. lol
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X