No announcement yet.

rear wheel bearing job w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that tool set looks EXACTLY like the one I bought from harbor freight for $80

Comment

Originally posted by kmsnsx View Post
      that tool set looks EXACTLY like the one I bought from harbor freight for $80
      Its from Baum and has a couple more pieces that i didnt bring. Dont get me wrong, i <3 harbor freight, but their set wouldnt be functioning at this point. I figure thats seen at least 100 wheel bearings and still works great.

Comment

what kinda tape did u use to fix you cv boots? I need a temp fix for mine to lol.

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
          Its from Baum and has a couple more pieces that i didnt bring. Dont get me wrong, i <3 harbor freight, but their set wouldnt be functioning at this point. I figure thats seen at least 100 wheel bearings and still works great.
          I don't doubt that the Baum or Pelican parts kit is of higher quality, but I'm just saying if you are like most people and you only need the tool twice, get the harbor freight one and if it breaks, return it.

Comment

HOLY PITA! So ive got the Halfshaft and the hub out (after i bought a bigger hammer)..now im pressing the bearing out with the bearing set from Harbor Freight ($69.99 -20%!!!!)...and holy PITA it is a slow process turning the bolt to press the bearing out...

I cant imagine doing this any other way though...trying to pound the bearing out with a pipe or something.. no way.

Comment

EPIC Fail....Read the thread 100x's....was re-installing the hub and used a back plate that was the size of the outer race vrs the inner race..yep you guessed it pushed the bearing apart!

Rookie mistake, attention to detail lacking..yep lets hear it..

Comment

I am not looking forward to doing this. Thanks for the write up though

www.roadreview.net

Comment

Inquiry

Hey guys, just a quick question. The rear wheel bearings are gone when you hear that whining noise from the rear when your driving? Even when you push in the clutch it still whines and gets louder the faster you go. Thanks..
                  sigpic

Comment

Anybody got a link to the Harbor Freight piece??
                    Suspension tips here...
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nicky51 View Post
                      Hey guys, just a quick question. The rear wheel bearings are gone when you hear that whining noise from the rear when your driving? Even when you push in the clutch it still whines and gets louder the faster you go. Thanks..
                      That sounds like the diff is worn. wheel bearings make a whum whum whum whum type of sound and the frequency will change with speed.

Comment

Originally posted by red325i View Post
                        EPIC Fail....Read the thread 100x's....was re-installing the hub and used a back plate that was the size of the outer race vrs the inner race..yep you guessed it pushed the bearing apart!

Rookie mistake, attention to detail lacking..yep lets hear it..
                        My first wheel bearing job, this is exactly what I did. Well, second time was a charm. LOL.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Very useful info. Thanks

Comment

Just did my bearing with the Harbor Freight kit. +1 for it, did it like a champ. I used an Ingersoll 1/2" drive impact gun to speed things up, took about an hour with me bullshitting around whilst doing it. Not afraid of rear wheel bearings anymore!

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Anyone use this type of tool to install the halfshaft splines back into the hub? The tool is in the following link:

Free Shipping - OTC Ford Front Hub Installers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Front Hub Assembly Installers and Pullers at Summit Racing.

Comment

Mine slipped in about 1/4 way, then I just rotated the shaft and hub and tapped on the backside of the joint body to seat it the rest of the way.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Working...
                                X