rear wheel bearing job w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    The beating is sealed and lubed at the factory and a little light oil on the outside will help it install
    Awesome, no grease needed at all though?

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
      Awesome, no grease needed at all though?
      Greasing the outside will help it slide in. And before someone chimes in, this will never cause the outer race to spin.

I do these types of bearings in hubs all the time from BMW to Fords.
      Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Grease will harden and be a pita later...if there is a later. Avoid it
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Grease will harden and be a pita later...if there is a later. Avoid it
          Come on now, no it wont. Im pretty sure if a bearing puller can overcome the interference fit of the hub and a bearing thats been stuck in there for 30 years, it can overcome a hard dried FILM of grease (if it ever gets to that point.)

Like I said, I do these all the time.
          Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Thank you both for your responses, now which one to trust? Haha

What about a thin layer of anti-sieze in the TA housing and around the inner race?

Comment

grease does not compress which is why it's used to drive out pilot bearings so it will lend nothing to the installation or life expectancy of a bearing.

neither Bentley nor the factory service manual recommends it but it's your car so do as you see fit
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

What is the torque spec on the axle nut? Anyone know?

Comment

145-155 ft lbs according to Bentley.
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                    145-155 ft lbs according to Bentley.
                    Cool, thanks!

Comment

Cheers bro... how'd you make out?
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                        Cheers bro... how'd you make out?
                        Got the driver's side apart. The passenger bearing is OK, but the driver's side was hosed. Was able to make this tool out of some scrap aluminum from work, some all-thread I already had, and about $3 in washers. These are not fun to remove.

Comment

OK, apparently there are different bearing sizes. The ones I received for an 86 325es are much smaller then what is on the car. Best as I can tell my car has had the driver's side trailing arm replaced with a later model trailing arm that takes a bigger bearing. I don't know about the passenger side as I have not taken it apart yet. I likely will just put the passenger side back together since it wasn't making any noise anyway.

This is the measurements/type of part I bought:

This is what I pulled out of the car:

So a 39mm ID, 72mm OD bearing is listed as what is supposed to fit my car. But it actually takes a 42mm ID, 75mm OD bearing.

ETA: According to realoem the cutoff date is 09/85 for the smaller bearing, so the vendor I got my bearings from is wrong (my car's build date is 05/86).
                          Last edited by Grackle; 01-17-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

when driving the wheel hub in, it became difficult mid way through and it stopped turning as I using the ratchet, then it went in. However now the hub kind of sags, and I can see the inner race has some play. If I tighten it all the way it wont sag but the minute I go to undo the driver (HF OTC HUB PULLER EQUIV) it will become loose and sag again. Did I fuck it up, also can I just put the axle in and once I tighten the axle nut it should all be good though right?

Comment

Originally posted by Grackle View Post
                              OK, apparently there are different bearing sizes. The ones I received for an 86 325es are much smaller then what is on the car. Best as I can tell my car has had the driver's side trailing arm replaced with a later model trailing arm that takes a bigger bearing. I don't know about the passenger side as I have not taken it apart yet. I likely will just put the passenger side back together since it wasn't making any noise anyway.

This is the measurements/type of part I bought:

This is what I pulled out of the car:

So a 39mm ID, 72mm OD bearing is listed as what is supposed to fit my car. But it actually takes a 42mm ID, 75mm OD bearing.

ETA: According to realoem the cutoff date is 09/85 for the smaller bearing, so the vendor I got my bearings from is wrong (my car's build date is 05/86).
                              Many aftermarket parts vendors will give bad info regarding cutoffs and compatible models. I would go by RealOEM as a source to double check you are getting the right part.

Originally posted by RondoAcapriccio View Post
                              when driving the wheel hub in, it became difficult mid way through and it stopped turning as I using the ratchet, then it went in. However now the hub kind of sags, and I can see the inner race has some play. If I tighten it all the way it wont sag but the minute I go to undo the driver (HF OTC HUB PULLER EQUIV) it will become loose and sag again. Did I fuck it up, also can I just put the axle in and once I tighten the axle nut it should all be good though right?
                              Did you make sure the hub was pressing in evenly? IIRC, you were supposed to use the right diameter cylinder to keep the inner bearing race from moving while pressing the hub in.

From the original post...

"Installing hub. Same concept as before. Plate over hub to draw it into the wheel bearing, except this time the plate on the OPPOSITE side is only bigger than the INNER diameter of the wheel bearing."

I would make sure there is no play or sagging at all before installing the axle. You may even have to replace the bearing again at this point.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                                Many aftermarket parts vendors will give bad info regarding cutoffs and compatible models. I would go by RealOEM as a source to double check you are getting the right part.
                                Yeah I used realoem to verify what I was seeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X