No announcement yet.

rear wheel bearing job w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow you did that with hammers and make shift installer. amazing. i had to go to harbor freight and buy the tool. the hardest part was getting everything out. i noticed you also used the FAG bearings. which side did you put the groove? hub side or axle side? or does it even matter?

Comment

Even using the correct bearing tool, this job still sucks ass. Those that are going to tackle it, be sure that you are up to the task.

Pelican rates this job at an 8, with a 1 being putting air in your tires, and a 10 being rebuilding your engine.

Comment

Groove out - like I found the originals..

Honestly - I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Stock up on beer for this job.
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
          Even using the correct bearing tool, this job still sucks ass. Those that are going to tackle it, be sure that you are up to the task.

Pelican rates this job at an 8, with a 1 being putting air in your tires, and a 10 being rebuilding your engine.
          done this before on my civic and it was pretty easy but time consuming.

Comment

Jesus Christ..
            Just finished putting everything back together after also repacking cv joints and new boots.
            I'm beat.
            Jesus Christ

Comment

oh u did that too? i was going to do that but couldnt figure out how to get the joint out. i just swapped the axles with some spares i got.

Comment

Yeah – those axle joints were a f’ing bear.

Instructions say not to use gas, or heavy solvents to clean old grease out – but soapy water. (interferes with new grease evidently)

Soapy water doesn’t do shit on old grease – so I went ahead and soaked them in buckets of old gas..
                because I didn’t want the old grease in there..
                then I doused them simple green + water – because I didn’t want the gas in there..
                then I hosed them down with water – because I didn’t want the soap in there..
                then I blew them off with compressed air – because I didn’t want the water in there..
                then I hit them with a heat gun – because I wanted ALL the moisture out of there..

then it was hours of fiddle-fuckin around with grease packets and anti-seize smeared all over the green earth..
                .. and I’m pretty OCD – so I was washing grease and gook off my hands every 10 minutes.

Like beating your head with a hammer – it sure feels good when it’s done. Tell you what - the action on the cv motion was much smoother when repacked. They had a pretty 'notchy' feel when I first pulled them off..

For as much as inner/outer boot kits cost – you’re better off just getting rebuilt units – unless you’re an original equipment freak like me.

Comment

^^ why I went with rebuilt ones. The cost of CV boots and time required to repack them isnt worth it vs buying them rebuilt.
                  Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                  http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

This thread helped a lot in my wheel bearing endeavor. Thanks to OP and all who posted.

I will add that an impact gun on the HF bearing kit is a huge plus. Also the large bearing seperater helped too.

If nothing (sheared carrier bolt, reinstalling brake shoes) unexpected happened, easily done in an hour.

Comment

What rebuilt shaft units are you guys buying? I've heard many horror stories about pretty much all of them.

Comment

i did my front drivers side bearing (with ldsbeaker) and it was pretty straight forward. our only real hiccup was that we couldnt remove the damn circlip on the cv joint. as soon as i lowered my e30, the cv joints cracked open so i figured i might as well replace them while the axle is off the car. wow. that little guy was stuck in there. i've replace all the cv boots on my previous ix so i didnt think it would be a problem. talk about hours and hours wasted. (a friends dad popped it off in 20 minutes. experience.)

but... it let me go home and grab another wheel hub because my current one was toasted. check this bitch out!

AWD > RWD

Comment

Also found this youtube vid (one in a series) for removal/install:
                          Thanks for Watching! Install video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vedv2OyE9BY https://www.tiktok.com/@edzgarage?Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.c...

It looks like a good companion for this thread, and also shows the HF tools he uses.

Comment

Challenge: Do this job with the car on a lift....two feet of the ground.....with the power out for a week. BTDT.

No air, no lifting, all manual labor. Sucked ass. Oh yeah, it was 90+ that week and we had no power for a fan.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                              Challenge: Do this job with the car on a lift....two feet of the ground.....with the power out for a week. BTDT.

No air, no lifting, all manual labor. Sucked ass. Oh yeah, it was 90+ that week and we had no power for a fan.
                              It was 100+ DUDE.
                              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Now that I have read this thread and my car is at 240k...I feel like my wheel bearings are gonna go out like tomorrow.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X