Tuner recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuner recommendations

Anyone have a tuner recommendation for a stock E30 325i around MD?

Running base map I've fiddled with and auto tuned. Its just not as fine tuned as i want it to be.
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

I didn't have much luck finding a tuner for megasquirt around the Philadelphia area when I got my car running a few years ago. What do you need to find tune?

Comment

Bds motorsport in UK can remote tune your m20. Take a look ar his website or nstagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
        Anyone have a tuner recommendation for a stock E30 325i around MD?

Running base map I've fiddled with and auto tuned. Its just not as fine tuned as i want it to be.
        Your issue with the whole tune or just a specific area?

If you're not happy with whole tune then maybe it is a setting issue or an hardware functionality issue not tuning issue.
        ​​​​​

Comment

If youve figured out how to autotune you are doing well, i'd figure out what your issue is and have a go yourself. if you can autotune you have a wideband, so do some logs and see whats up.

Acceleration enrichment took me a quite a while to get my head around and made a big difference to how snappy the throttle is.

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post

Your issue with the whole tune or just a specific area?

If you're not happy with whole tune then maybe it is a setting issue or an hardware functionality issue not tuning issue.
            ​​​​​
            I was unhappy with my idle and my acceleration (felt it was slower than stock). I've been going back and trying to fine tune my settings. I now have an issue where my 02 sensor/gauge will not turn back on after the first session (ie I cant turn the car on, run it, turn it off and have the gauge turn back on). I was making progress with my tunes idle until the O2 issue arose.

Trying to diagnose that now instead.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              If youve figured out how to autotune you are doing well, i'd figure out what your issue is and have a go yourself. if you can autotune you have a wideband, so do some logs and see whats up.

Acceleration enrichment took me a quite a while to get my head around and made a big difference to how snappy the throttle is.
              Yeah I was trying to fine tune my idle and acceleration enrichment. Ran into an issue with my O2 sensor now thats requiring my attention in order to tune.

Comment

Well you want to get your o2 sensor sorted yep. Once you get your actual tune sorted you can set up your exhaust gas correction stuff based on 02 sensor. targeting 14.7 on cruise and light throttles etc to save fuel.

You also want to be damn sure you have your trigger tooth offset value is correct. using a timing light. values on the internet seem to range from 87 to 82 degrees. but on my car I think i ended up at around 84. just minor differences in engines i suppose. but when you are only talking ~19deg at WOT or so, +/-5 can make a big difference.

Comment

Get the o2 sensor working first. Then if you want to drive it up to south jersey I'll spend a day tuning with you. I'm no expert but my car has been on megasquirt since 2014 and I've figured a lot of stuff out the hard way. Auto tuning has limits. It's good for getting close but eventually you'll have to take logs and look at them in mlv. As for the idle, did you get it idling in open loop mode?

Comment

Tuning idle doesn't need O2 use the settings that make your engine sounds happy m20s like richer idle.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleconstantine View Post
                      Get the o2 sensor working first. Then if you want to drive it up to south jersey I'll spend a day tuning with you. I'm no expert but my car has been on megasquirt since 2014 and I've figured a lot of stuff out the hard way. Auto tuning has limits. It's good for getting close but eventually you'll have to take logs and look at them in mlv. As for the idle, did you get it idling in open loop mode?
                      I got it idling in open loop decently and then swapped to closed loop and was dialing it in from there. I had some sporadic moments where it would go very rich or lean and i couldn't figure out why.

I appreciate the offer to help me tune

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                        Tuning idle doesn't need O2 use the settings that make your engine sounds happy m20s like richer idle.
                        My M20 will sound pretty happy between 12 and 15:1 AFR at idle but id rather have it close to 14-14.5 to note waste fuel and keep the oil cleaner which is alot easier to achieve with a WB
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

My M20 will sound pretty happy between 12 and 15:1 AFR at idle but id rather have it close to 14-14.5 to note waste fuel and keep the oil cleaner which is alot easier to achieve with a WB
                          You are correct about maintaining oil clean i should go a little leaner at idle, But what i like about being a little richer at idle is the better throttle response off idle wot.

Btw i am not an expert just a noob trying to learn and really admiring your profitional threads and posts.

Comment

Accel enrichment should be tuned to maximize throttle response, as that is its purpose. How rich you need to idle is dependent on your configuration and demands. If you have large injectors like me a smooth idle may be unlikely around stoich or leaner with these primitive batch fire systems, I have to idle in the mid to low 13s to maintain smoothness especially with the AC on. A stock engine, or even a higher compression NA build so long as it doesn't have a radical cam, should idle smoothly and have good throttle response in the 14s.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Apologies for my delayed response, studying for the bar atm and I don't have too much time for other things.

My O2 sensor will turn on and function normally at the first start up. I can sit there and tune to my hearts delight (or until my engine gets too rich/lean), but upon turning the car off and trying a second start the O2 sensor/gauge will not function properly. The gauge will either not turn on, or will turn on and read 11afr, and slowly go up by .01 every couple of seconds. I've swapped gauges, I've swapped O2 sensors and I have the same issue.

The issue wont repeat itself if I wait 30~ mins after I run it, so my tuning times are getting pretty lengthy just for some basic idle tuning.

Any other ideas? I would love to keep this build moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X