Turbo m50b25 vanos questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo m50b25 vanos questions

Hey guys, I’m looking into building a 3l stroker using an m50b25 from a 93 525 and the crank, con rods, pistons and inlet cam from an m54. Here in Australia the m52 is an aluminium block, so a stroked m50 is the only iron block 3L solution. M50b25 Non-vanos are quite rare to find, however, I can get a vanos engine; aside from standalone compatibility with vanos, are there any downsides to running a vanos m50? I hope to build for 400whp.

Thanks in advance,
    nick.

Any of these engines will take 400whp regardless of aluminum/iron block.

NV lacks bosses for knock sensors. If your standalone supports knock control, that may matter to you.
    Vanos is worth some midrange and the on/off control is easy enough for basically any standalone to control.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The aluminum block is fine for your modest power goals, it's the M54 pistons and rods which will leave you with little room for error because they are markedly more frail than M52B28 or M50B25 internals. I'm not saying you can't do it just saying the internals are less durable. Just build a 2.8 because there is no good OE parts combo for a turbo 3L hybrid M50 IMO. I am building an all forged 3L stroker M50 for my E34, I did a lot of research to get to this point and I only went with a 3.0 because my power goals on pump gas mean the added displacement, however small, was an advantage and the extra torque of a slightly larger engine was ideal for a heavy wagon. If I didn't have the budget for this or wanted only 400whp I would have just done a refreshed M52B28.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
      X