Oil Cooler thermostat Stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler thermostat Stuck?

Hi Everyone, I was able to get my engine started last weekend and overall things went great. One of the few issues I had was that oil cooler does not seem to be getting warm. Even after the car has been driven for a while.
    I have heard mentions about a thermostat that may be the issue but I can’t seem to find it on real OEM or any other site.

Until you stick a temperature gauge in the oil pan, you're not going to know for sure.

Driving around town, or even on the freeway at 90, you're probably not going to get the oil
    hot enough to need the cooler. The radiator and water in an M20 do 90% of the work
    90% of the time.

I wouldn't sweat it. Even on track, I don't see 220f unless I've got my nose stuck up someone's butt
    for at least a lap.

The thermostat is in the housing attached to the side of the block- it has the 2 metal pipes that
    feed the oil cooler.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I deleted mine because the hoses were leaking and too expensive to replace.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Toby was right, I took it to the track this weekend and nearly burned my hand checking the oil cooler. It certainly works!

Comment

That's the RIGHT way to test an E30... or an E36... or a 2002... but probably not an Isetta.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            That's the RIGHT way to test an E30... or an E36... or a 2002... but probably not an Isetta.

t
            I thought the Bentley procedure was:

1. Install pedometer on technician
            2. Make momentary direct skin to metal contact with the cooler, but be uncertain of the temperature
            3. Make prolonged contact with the cooler to be sure
            4. Run around yelling "hot, hot, hot!"
            5. Record pedometer readings, total "hot, hot, hot!" exclamations, and refer to table 3a for temperature reference
            6. Seek medical attention

Comment

IR thermometer. I can definitely tell mine works when I park and check it, but the turbo really helps heat the oil up.

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
              I deleted mine because the hoses were leaking and too expensive to replace.
              Any competent hydraulic shop should be able to put new hoses on the existing fittings it for far less than the cost of new hoses.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

Thanks for that varg, I’ll check it out.
                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                X