Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix running rough on start up - revving fixes issue

Hey guys,

Just recently my m20 developed this issue.
    When starting the car, it takes a while to get it running right.

As you can see in the video, it has a hard time getting the idle right.
    I have to raise up the rpm to get it to idle. While doing so the engine smells heavy of fuel.

Does anyone have an idea what could be up?

Thanks!
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Did it start doing this all of a sudden? Or gradually got worse to this point?
    Does it do it every time, or only on either hot or cold starts?

This has some strange similarities to a problem I had - leaky injectors could cause a hard start and then some wonkiness until the engine clears its throat.
    1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
    1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
    1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

I drove a whole day with a couple of stops 2 weeks ago and it necer had this problem. it occurred all of the sudden only when cold/has been sitting for a while

i was also thinking it might be the injectors leaking, causing it to loose fuel pressure. Thus needing to rotate the engine a couple of times till fresh fuel is at the injectors + it running rich the first few seconds because of the injectors leaking

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I checked the fuel pressure to the rail, got 3bar. after 1 hour it dropped to 2.5bar
        Tried starting it, again poor idle.

After that I cleaned the ICV and also removed the injectors, jumped the fuel pump relay and looked for any leaks on the injectors, couldn't spot anything.
        I got everything back together and tried starting the car, it ran fine. However I'm not sure I really solved it or it's just because I didn't let it sit long enough.. I'll have to try and start it some other day to check.

edit: I also checked for any vacuum leaks with a smoke machine, nothing..
        Last edited by D.Martijn; 04-09-2022, 07:11 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

If fuel pressure's not dropping, you've ruled out the injectors- which is good.

Smoke testing, also good!

Next, I'd have a look at the plugs, wires cap and rotor. Worn plugs can do this-
          but usually you'd also be starting to get a misfire under heavy load as well.

Small chance it's something like the air temp sensor wiring...

t

now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            If fuel pressure's not dropping, you've ruled out the injectors- which is good.

Smoke testing, also good!

Next, I'd have a look at the plugs, wires cap and rotor. Worn plugs can do this-
            but usually you'd also be starting to get a misfire under heavy load as well.

Small chance it's something like the air temp sensor wiring...

t

I checked the plugs but they honestly still looked looked good
            wires, cap and rotor got replacement no too long ago
            Power seems good once running okay

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I started the E30 again last night after letting it sit for a while because I didn't know it if I had let it sit for long enough last time.. It's definitely better, just still hunting for it's idle, after a raising the rpm a little it's fixed..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

try swapping AFM's with another one if you have a buddy that has an E30. I had a similar issue years back, and it ended up being that.
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                  I started the E30 again last night after letting it sit for a while because I didn't know it if I had let it sit for long enough last time.. It's definitely better, just still hunting for it's idle, after a raising the rpm a little it's fixed..
                  What probably fixed your issue was cleaning your ICV, When cold idle (More fuel+throttle closed) the only air source is the ICV if not enough air gets in you will end up rich (lesser than expected air against injected fuel= disturbed Air Fuel Mixture).

Comment

Also a off brand ICV will cause idle issues. The cold start on E30's isn't known for being great (correct me if I'm wrong). My E30 has always hated the cold, but I make sure everything is in good working order and clean. So it is pretty much a manageable issue for me.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                      try swapping AFM's with another one if you have a buddy that has an E30. I had a similar issue years back, and it ended up being that.

Originally posted by ADEN View Post

What probably fixed your issue was cleaning your ICV, When cold idle (More fuel+throttle closed) the only air source is the ICV if not enough air gets in you will end up rich (lesser than expected air against injected fuel= disturbed Air Fuel Mixture).
                      Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
                      Also a off brand ICV will cause idle issues. The cold start on E30's isn't known for being great (correct me if I'm wrong). My E30 has always hated the cold, but I make sure everything is in good working order and clean. So it is pretty much a manageable issue for me.
                      Yes, I asked my uncle if he could bring over his iX so I could swap his AFM and idle control valve.
                      I'll go from there. In the meantime I also changed to fuel pump since I was able to get it prertty cheap (ERA brand, 60€) and temp sensors (Blue sensor is Bosch, brown although has nothing to do with the ECU Hella) ) but that doesn't seem to fix it either

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
                        Cold starts on a properly running E30 are fine. But given 30 years of use, age, and neglect, some things are going to need refreshed.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Cold starts on a properly running E30 are fine. But given 30 years of use, age, and neglect, some things are going to need refreshed.
                          I swapped the AFM and idle control valve from my uncles iX (which starts/runs perfectly fine) to my iX and still have the same hard starting problem.
                          Turning the key, engine cranks over, starts up, shuts down, try starting again, need te keep cranking + add some throttle input and it fits up again.
                          Keeping the revs up a little and it seems to smooth out although the idle isn't still nice and constant

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

What is your charging voltage at idle?

Comment

Check ohms on coolant sensor, and make sure the TPS is reading idle switch. If one/both are bad, you will run excessively rich on idle and low part throttle maps.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X