Cleaning valve train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning valve train

I have the valve cover off to put in ARP studs and do a valve adjustment and wanted to make sure it's ok to clean the valve train? I'm thinking just brake cleaner but wanted to be sure it's ok. I saw this valve train in an article online, so clean!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	215
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	10088149

vs this one from Pelican parts which looks like mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	157
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	10088150
    '90 325is

I wouldn't use brake clean, I am not sure it's chemically compatible with and thus could damage valve stem seals, whatever pools in the head will dilute the oil too, it doesn't evaporate as quickly when mixed in with oil. If it's a layer of sludge remove what you can mechanically with shop towels and scrapers and use short OCIs with diesel oil or some other high detergent oil as necessary to clean things out with time.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Being varnished like that is an indication of poor oil change intervals, but the varnish itself isn't a bit deal in my opinion. I wouldn't touch it. wipe out any actual sludge if it exists and just fill it back up with oil and change it regularly. Put the valve cover on and forget about it:)

if you ever have the head off, get it cleaned at an engine machine shop in the hot degreaser cleaner. That's really the only way to properly clean a head.

Comment

Perfect thanks guys. I was worried about the contamination, diluting oil. I'll just wipe off what I can.
        '90 325is

Comment

Working...
        X