No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think that is wrong, on my two nuke gears the timing mark is different to the vernier mark

ref to timing mark at 4 oclock (outer rim) not the one at 530, if you overlay stock gear you'll see the correct one

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Oh f@#$#k.

Is it possible I bent valves by having the timing 45 degrees off?
      "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

its possible how many times did you spin it over was there much resistance ? it looks like it is retarded in that position so exh valves would be the ones if there is damage. you have a double thickness of gasket so it might not have
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

There was resistance, but it was definitely the new springs and cam. Once I oiled the valve train it turned over fine. Did not hear any metal on metal. Will try and do a visual inspection tonight through the ports, and compression test each cylinder.

I just rembered we have the rocker eccentrics adjusted for minimum possible lift as well. That plus the head gasket might mean I'm ok.
          Last edited by dvallis; 09-01-2016, 03:46 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

By the way, since there's a timing mark on the Nuke, what the heck does that vernier line up on?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

the vernier mark on inner hub lines up with a mark on the outer hub this tells you how much advance or retard you have its to comapre the inner and outer hub phasing. it also helps you assembled inner and outer hubs in correct relationship if you pull it aprt for some reason as there are 3 possible positions. the other mark is the O|T mark

Comment

Because when you're learning to build engines ... sometimes shit happens.

Thanks Digger.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

well that sucks, but better to find out now than after you tried and start it

Comment

No kidding. Ah well, I'm considering it a good opportunity for upgrading to stainless steel valves and a Kevlar timing belt from IE. While I'm waiting for parts I'll do something frivolous like polish the valve cover. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I always set cam time on motors with no spark plugs. Helps you feel for resistance.

No laughing the valve in this time

I'm usually scared to use any of IE products. I don't recon Conti timing belts have issues, I would jut confirm that what ever timing gear that you do use it fits properly in the teeth.

rocker eccentrics adjusted for minimum possible lift??

ZK

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Rocker eccentrics adjusted for minimum lift, and no spark plugs. Was not enough to save the valves. Timing gears are fine. Read back and you'll see it was user error. Used the wrong timing mark on the Nuke cam gear.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

LOL I'm so sorry. That blows man.

Better now than in the car and running! :p

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I remember when I was almost done with my first ever 16v swap on my old mk1 VW. Aftermarket cam gear had the "TDC" mark but the damn car would NOT start. Said fuck it and TDC aligned everything by eye. Fired up right away. I hate aftermarket cam gears

Good luck on the rebuild
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                              I'm usually scared to use any of IE products.

Please elaborate... As far as I'm
                              Concerned IE has fantastic products.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

+1 for IE. The stuff I've used from them is good. Including the cam gear.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X