Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we are definitely BACK!

Only thing today was figuring out the dreaded timing belt fuzz. Remember one of the issues was something eating our timing belt? Turns out it was screws for the distributor cap delete plate protruding into the belt way. Pulled the rad, top hoses and timing cover. Trimmed the screws. Problem fixed.

It's idling great. oil is 25 psi hot. Fuel pressure 40 psi at idle. Nominal is 45 psi at 0 psi boost, but since idle is under vacuum it pulls down fuel pressure a bit. Perfect.

Break in driving. Fuel pressure at 45 psi under throttle, 60 psi oil pressure. Water temp rock solid at 180. (After we burped the cooling system a few times) Oil pressure never goes below 25 psi under braking. No oil or water leaks.

Next Steps are go get inspected, put break in miles on it, change out the oil then go for a dyno tune.

Here's a longer walk around video.

Last edited by dvallis; 09-11-2021, 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Welcome back Das Beast!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Just in time for cooler power making weather

Comment

Car is inspected, insured and street legal. Time to start putting on the break-in miles!

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
            Car is inspected, insured and street legal. Time to start putting on the break-in miles!
            Curious of the way of breaking in: grandma route or drive it like you stole it lol.

Comment

Simple really. Drive it in a wide variety of speeds, engine loads and RPM. No WOT since our compression is higher, want to avoid detonation. Stay out of boost. After a 100 miles or so, we'll bring it to Boost Logic for a dyno tune. THEN get on it like a sasquatch. : - )

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Tightened up some water & boost hoses, tensioned the throttle cable and calibrated the TPS. It was reading -35% to 50% so ECU did not know WTF was going on. Response is even better now, even though I'm only driving at partial throttle <%30. Put 30 more miles on it. Will smoke test again this week.

Boost Logic shut down working on customer cars. It's R&D only now. Their tuner Roman moved to Dallas, opened his own shop with a four wheel dyno. Figuring out logistics on the tune next week.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

We put the rest of our 100 break-in miles on The Beast yesterday. This thing is really strong off boost. Co-pilot kept me at partial throttle and out of boost, LoL.

We data logged the whole thing. Here's a sample. You can see the boost controller doing its job, boost coming on until I got out of the throttle.

Going to swap out the break-in oil then see about getting this thing dyno tuned.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Found our new tuner. We're taking it to Bardabe Performance here in Austin. He's got a Dynapack hub dyno and has a lot if experience using it.

We're changing out the break-in oil and filter this weekend for race oil, then off to the dyno on Tuesday.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Dumped the 0W break in oil today. Had some metal particulate as expected but nothing out of the ordinary

10 new quarts of Moly 10W60

Oil pressure was GREAT after warm up. In long sweepers and under straight line throttle I'm seeing 60 psi. At a "bus stop" 90 degree turns I'm still getting 40 psi full on the brakes. The new baffled pan with 60 weight is doing exactly what we need.

Dyno tune on Tuesday

2002 E39 M5

Comment

That's promising news! looking forward to the dyno
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Bolted to the hub dyno.

Last edited by dvallis; 10-05-2021, 04:42 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Cam gear threw a bolt and slipped. We were running 20 degrees retard. Nuke gear is getting deleted. We'll do a compression check to see if the valves were damaged. Deeper valve pockets may have saved us.

Better look at the timing marks

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I like the nuke gear vs the old ebay ones and a lot of people run them without issues.
                              I'd personally just fire some low/med strength loctite on the bolts and send it, but I also understand the urge to yeet the item that causes pain
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So who is actually running any mechanical advance to make more power. With what cam? I'm running a 284/272.

Let's hear a roll call.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X