"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

​​​​​​Added the remote breather vented from the bitch tube

​​​​​​​And finally ... a pic with me in it​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
        ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
        ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Car handles noticeably better with the wing at highway speeds. Feels a lot more planted. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

​​​​​​​You know we have to add a splitter now .... LoL

Last edited by dvallis; 04-03-2022, 05:55 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Interested to see what you come up with for the splitter, I need to build one for my new car.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Will do.

We're going to dial the ride height down from "F150" (to get out of our driveway) and down to race mode, see where we're at.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Finally updated the diffuser to cover the full width of the car. Been wanting to do that for some time. Looks way better.

​​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Also changed to lighter weight oil. We were running Molly 10W60 since I had it around for the E39 M5 but it's WAY too heavy. Oil pressure was 60 psi hot idle, 70 psi WOT.​​​​​​​ Switched to 30SAE VR1. Now we're 20 psi hot idle, 40 psi in turns, 60 psi WOT. Perfect

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Beginnings of a splitter. Rough dimensions, locations of supports etc. Tunnels are cross hatched. We'll use this to CAD a template with better symmetry. It's a start.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Looking good. I bet if you pick Johnny @ Nine Lives brain, he'd be glad to help out with the splitter design.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Friend of mine was lucky enough to have VIP access at the Reb Bull Racing UK facility. After researching splitter design all week, it's easy to see how these work now. Our splitters sit under the front of the car, theirs hang out in the breeze in front of it.

Lots of side aero going on as well.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Splitter CAD V2. Much better

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I like the splitter tunnels. :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Tunnels make a big difference. See below, with and without. More blue, more downforce

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Diffuser is only 10 points in some racing classes. :p
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

LoL. No aero penalties in NASA ST1/2/3. I can hang aero bits all over this thing. My crew chief just frowns and mutters "Drive faster ..."

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Splitterama

Started with 1/2" oak plywood

Cut the sheet to 72x36 and started adding cutouts

Measured for fit to the IS valence. I had it upside down last time. Nobody noticed LoL

Planning the tunnels. Tire profile is black cross hatch bottom left

And finally done this phase. Good progress for an afternoon

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X