Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.85 (2.9) Stroker with S50 Crank - it lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post

Looking forward to the progress. To make this post useful.... when you will be doing your mockup and will need to install/remove the belt gear on the crank....pull the woodruff key and don't put it back until final assembly. It should save you from using a puller and makes the mockup easier.
    If everything is clean, you shouldn't need a puller. Usually a little rust, grime, or galling for the key is what's holding them on (or all three hehe).
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Got the final "final torques" done on the bottom end. this should be the last time I say that haha. I made sure to check clearances again, take a fine file to the areas I ground to remove the burs, and use lots of assembly lube.

I then was able to disassemble the head completely, and I ordered a bimmerheads 272 billet cam and HD rockers. For a mild street stroker the 272 seemed to be the best cam. I think a 288 would have been too much for what I want. Next step will be getting the headwork done and checking Piston to Valve clearance, and getting the correct head gasket thickness.

Still progressing slowly but surely.

Comment

without ITB it makes sense to go mild with the cam, you cant push water uphill
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          If everything is clean, you shouldn't need a puller. Usually a little rust, grime, or galling for the key is what's holding them on (or all three hehe).
          the assembly is pretty snug, especially with 2 keys in there. I'm going with 276 cam for my 2.9L. I know I'd want ITBs once she is up and running.

Comment

Got the head back from the machine shop this week ( along with a few other goodies in the mail) and have mocked the engine up with the oem + .3mm HG

I mocked it up with a VR + .3mm HG. The first time I measured P2V with clay the HG and head bolts were unused and I torqued them to spec.

P2V seems pretty good, all measurements were above 0.07" using the clay method. I will try the dial indicator method next to verify this.

I then reused the already torqued bolts and the already compressed HG and torqued the head down to spec again ( 22 ft-lb + 90 deg. + 90 deg.)

I measured Piston to head clearance with 0.05" electrical saulder as well, and i measured the smallest clearance to me 0.02", with most of them between 0.025" and 0.03" . Yikes. Would re-torquing the head gasket have that much of an impact on the clearances?

I also timed the cam. with the setup I am running it should be + 0.3 mm taller, so i would expect the cam to be about .6 degrees off. When I measured cam timing with a degree wheel I found I had to advance the cam about 1 degree to get it to spec. This is more than I estimated but it is still reasonable.

Comment

sounds a bit too tight, was the head warped and machined without being straightened first? this can lead to uneven machining
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

When i bought the engine it was from a 99k automatic, the PO had it torn down too do a turbo build on the stock rotating assembly. I know he had the head skimmed flat again, but i don't know how much. I measured the depth from the machined surface to the cat surface where the numbers are near cylinder 1 to be about 0.025"

It's weird the me that p2v was still reasonable with that setup though.

At this point it seems a .12" MLS is my best bet, hopefully raising the quench height by 0.04" ( to a minimum of 0.06) from the 2.05 HG.

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
                  When i bought the engine it was from a 99k automatic, the PO had it torn down too do a turbo build on the stock rotating assembly. I know he had the head skimmed flat again, but i don't know how much. I measured the depth from the machined surface to the cat surface where the numbers are near cylinder 1 to be about 0.025"

It's weird the me that p2v was still reasonable with that setup though.

At this point it seems a .12" MLS is my best bet, hopefully raising the quench height by 0.04" ( to a minimum of 0.06) from the 2.05 HG.
                  IMO you want 0.040-0.050" quench, this is the consensus of many professionals in the industry, some advocate even smaller but none really advocate much larger than this for a NA engine.

since you have variability you'd probably want the smallest to be about 0.035" as a minimum so that needs 0.015" thicker (0.098" ????). the max will be 0.065" which is getting too large but it is what it is....
                  Last edited by digger; 06-22-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    you cant push water uphill
                    I think this is exactly what water pumps do :p

Very curious to see where this ends up.
                    sigpic
                    Gun control means using both hands
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
                      I think this is exactly what water pumps do :p

Very curious to see where this ends up.
                      in this case it would be called a snail, but that doesnt count

Comment

Just got the 0.098" MLS gasket. torqued at 20 ft-lbs The Piston - head quench is about 0.047 - 0.050" measured via solder through the spark plug hole, seems right on the money to me ( only checked cylinder 1, I expect the highest gap to be about 0.056"

Cr is about 9.7:1

I'm onto final assembly and getting her in the car. exciting stuff. Hoping to have her running in a few weeks.

cam is times, valves adjusted, and i installed an I.E. oil pan baffle.

paring this with #19 bosch type 3 injectors w/ EV1 connectors ( i believe these are the mustang ones)

Running a custom sssquid chip for now, once I have more money i will probably go standalone MS2 PNP.
                        Last edited by sert57; 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

stock cam and head? should be a torquey SOB

Comment

272 bimmerheads cam, hd rockers. Should help some with peak power without loosing much low end torque. Ie longtubes will also be included

Comment

It lives

Comment

gonna stick with motronic?

Comment

Working...
                                X