M20 not getting to temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 not getting to temp

So, I'm trying to get my 89 ix running well enough to pass smog, but I can't get it to operating temperature and it's failing idle smog. Curious if I'm missing something dumb and obvious.

What I'm seeing:
    - temp stays at 3/8 on the gauge when idle
    - drops to 1/4 immediately when moving, even when driven hard
    - high idle HC (219/120 allowed)
    - feels a little low on power, but maybe I'm just used to M50 torque
    - poked around with an IR thermometer after driving hard at high RPMs for 30m
    - thermostat housing hot side is at 75C
    - thermostat housing cold side is at 50C
    - lower rad hose is cold enough to touch

I'm using an M30 179 ECU with a stock M20 chip in it, but the car was doing the same thing with a stock 153 ECU as well.

I've got a new CTS and thermostat to go on, but I'm not sure that they'll do much. If the thermostat is stuck closed but the motor was working normally, the car would heat way up. It smells a little rich when running, but not rich enough to stay this cool. So, what the heck? Any other bright ideas?
    cars beep boop

on the list to check:

- fuel rail pressure
    - return line openness
    - whether some asshole put 19# injectors on this motor and didn't tell me
    - AFM fuckery
    - plug reading

I guess it's also possible that my cat just sucks. but why the cold running?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Has to be the tstat stuck open...or not there.
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Do you understand what a thermostat does....?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Do you understand what a thermostat does....?
          me? yes.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I'm also going to agree with Jeff. T-stat is stuck open, or missing.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

One more for 'uneeda thermostat'

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. will find out if the previous idiot left the t-stat out tomorrow night.

in my experience attempting to run an M30 without a thermostat, it got hot rather than cold, though.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Same thing was happening with my car when I first picked it up.

Was missing a tstat

but had plenty of silicone in there.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                    thanks for the suggestion. will find out if the previous idiot left the t-stat out tomorrow night.

in my experience attempting to run an M30 without a thermostat, it got hot rather than cold, though.
                    It's dependent on the engine/rad/hose design for this to happen, but if the coolant is running through the rad faster because of a non-existent thermostat, then it doesn't have enough time to dissipate heat therefore can over heat the engine.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

It's s myth that water moving too fast means it can't dissipate enough heat
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

thermostat. Buy an OE/OEM one too, aftermarket are a crap shoot.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X