Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed the throwout bearing that came with my sachs clutch kit all of which is made in Germany is composite with some stamped components where as the original which is stamped BMW is all metal cast or forged. I also noticed that the FTE made in Germany slave cylinder I received his composite. Is this the way things are going?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7201381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	7201382

Comment

How did you all go about driving the rear main seal down 1 to 2 mm from the surface of the carrier in an even fashion?

Name:	IMG_5380.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	7201400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
        How did you all go about driving the rear main seal down 1 to 2 mm from the surface of the carrier in an even fashion?

[ATTACH]127231[/ATTACH]

you have to get something of the large diameter. I personally prefer to get this seal and seal carrier as a unit. Not much more $$ than a quality seal and limits a possibility of the installation mistake. You do not want to do this job again soon.

Comment

Is there an intended relationship between the head bolts washers and what I presume are oiling holes? To a limited degree there is some ability to bias the washers one way or the other

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	7201404

Comment

Does anyone have a description of how hard it should be to slip the timing belt over the tensioner (which i understand is the final thing its slipped over)? Like, all the strength in your arms and it barely makes it? Or walk in the park?

Other thing im struggling with is how much slack is there bt intermed sprocket and cam sprocket? Muscle the hell out of it to go one tooth further and get it hella taut or take her easy, decent amt of slack.

Comment

no those oil holes are nolonger important when the shaft is installed as they are isolated
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                Does anyone have a description of how hard it should be to slip the timing belt over the tensioner (which i understand is the final thing its slipped over)? Like, all the strength in your arms and it barely makes it? Or walk in the park?

Other thing im struggling with is how much slack is there bt intermed sprocket and cam sprocket? Muscle the hell out of it to go one tooth further and get it hella taut or take her easy, decent amt of slack.

lock the tensioner in place fully retracted, the the last thing is to slide over the cam gear so start at crank then pull tension on it over the tensioner then start on the RHS of the cam gear. to get it over the cam gear just get it started but only on a few mm of the edge. once you have a few mm of the entire cam gear then sliding it back fully is easy. then release the tensioner so the spring tensions the belt
                Last edited by digger; 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Thanks I found that I needed to loosen the slack on the water pump in order to get the tensioner fully slacked I also found that I needed to advance the cam gear slightly in order to get the belt to seat but then once tension was applied the marks lined up perfectly through several revolutions.

Does it matter which TDC you time the motor to?

In other words - The cam sprocket completes one revolution (and points to its marker) for every two revolutions of the crank. Does it matter which revolution of the crank you use?

Comment

No, set the head to tdc and the crank to tdc and install belt. Rotate 1 crank rev and the head is 180 "out" rotate another crank rev and it's back inline at the head.

Comment

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

I believe we are saying the same thing two ways. The crank shows TDC twice at the vibration damper for every one time the cam shows TDC. I am confirming that there is not a single correct crank to cam TDC relationship and that either pair works the same provided the marks line up.
                      Last edited by r-mm; 04-23-2019, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Yes the lines match up every second rev

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          No, set the head to tdc and the crank to tdc and install belt. Rotate 1 crank rev and the head is 180 "out" rotate another crank rev and it's back inline at the head.

Make sure you are setting this before the head is installed. Don’t rotate cam/crank independently

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                            Make sure you are setting this before the head is installed. Don’t rotate cam/crank independently

I do that all the time :P

If you rotate the crank 20° past TDC, then all the pistons are down far enough that none can possibly hit the pistons. When doing a cam seal while doing a timing belt job, I always rotate the crank to avoid any possible problems.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              I do that all the time :P

If you rotate the crank 20° past TDC, then all the pistons are down far enough that none can possibly hit the pistons. When doing a cam seal while doing a timing belt job, I always rotate the crank to avoid any possible problems.

You are doing this for a living, not sure how many of this OP did...my guess is none judging by his question. Just would hate to see another “did I bent my valves” post

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                                You are doing this for a living, not sure how many of this OP did...my guess is none judging by his question. Just would hate to see another “did I bent my valves” post

Actually learnt the trick on my 78 Datsun truck 4cyl back when I started wrenching as a hobby in the early 90's, but it works on any inline config.

It takes a good amount of force to bend the valves when turning an engine by hand, actually, one would almost need a breaker bar or long handle ratchet.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X