Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super ETA verification

Car is a 1987 325
    I did as much research as I could have before posting and all the signs are pointing to a SETA . I'm just looking for a m20 guru to give me the blessing [emoji119][emoji119]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think you have an eta, not a seta

I'm fairly certain Setas were '88 only, not 87

It has an "i" tachometer, not seta
    Valve cover is from an eta
    wiring / icv plumbing look like an eta

I'd check the head casting number. besides the pistons, that would be the most important part. It could be someone put an I head on an eta bottom end. If it isn't an 885 its definitely a normal eta.

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
      I think you have an eta, not a seta

I'm fairly certain Setas were '88 only, not 87

It has an "i" tachometer, not seta
      Valve cover is from an eta
      wiring / icv plumbing look like an eta

I'd check the head casting number. besides the pistons, that would be the most important part. It could be someone put an I head on an eta bottom end. If it isn't an 885 its definitely a normal eta.
      Thanks bud I will check casting , from what I read seta actually started production on the later part of 87 .the car was all factory owned by an old Asian guy that was the original owner.

Comment

That's an eta. Seta used the 885 head casting, and wouldn't have the cold start injector - seta used Motronic 1.1 or 1.3, that's definitely a 1.0 harness.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Is there any other way to confirm or reject? im going through the same search right now, 885 head casting on a supposed seta. confirmed the head but where the block number is theres only 1 8 digit number (20916455)? Anything else I could look at before pulling the head?

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            That's an eta. Seta used the 885 head casting, and wouldn't have the cold start injector - seta used Motronic 1.1 or 1.3, that's definitely a 1.0 harness.
            Guess no 2.7i for me :/

Guess no 2.7i for me , I was looking for the dome pistons

Comment

That's an ETA engine. The cluster is a 325i or later 318i cluster.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You can make a 2.7i with an eta. You'll just have lower compression and then decide to turbo it
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

so without any of the electronics or plumbing on the motor how else could one verify a s-eta vs a regular eta. I have already verified the 885 head casting. the block id number makes no sense to me. Also seeing torx head bolts? Anyone have a picture of s-eta pistons I could use to reference as im pulling the head off in a few minutes. can post pictures if that makes it easier

thanks guys!

Comment

you might could try taking out a spark plug and looking in or getting one of those borescope cameras - they look pretty cheap? The seta pistons have similar dome design as the i pistons, where the eta pistons are completely different (see below). I have no ideas as far as block casting numbers what to look for.

Comment

well now im confused. here ya go m20 gurus. head is off[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	m204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7202000[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH].

The piston closely matches the 2.5 in your above link but the head only has single valve springs, intake manifold is def an "eta" variety
                      Attached Files

Comment

Weird.

I have an 89 'vert here, came in for a head gasket - with all "i" electronics and a full eta engine, so anything is possible lol.

Hard to tell exactly from pics between the seta and "i" pistons as the dome on them is very similar, might want to measure the stroke. You might have lucked out and had someone drop a seta engine in there as a replacement in the past.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

This is a replacement engine I bought under assumption of 2.7 striker build. I wouldn't be jumping into this but...... Car started smoking a few runs ago. Ruled out turbo.... Figure its time for a rebuild. Want to do this bottom end while my car will still move under its own power.
                          Ill check smoke tonight. Same as a regular eta?

Comment

Check stroke*

Comment

success i think

Ok so with the head off I took some quick measurements of the bore and stroke within the accuracy of my digital calipers. Bore is 84mm.
                              stroke was a bit harder as the piston sits above the top of block, at the lowest point it is 1.19mm above, made a mark on piston and turned it down to BDC. measurement to the mark was 80mm add the 1.19mm above gives a stroke of 81mm+-. from the reading im doing the 2.5 had a stroke of 75mm and the 2.7 has a stroke of 81mm

this leads me to believe this is a seta based on these results and the head set up. please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X