No announcement yet.

Help! Is this a M52 Crank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both cranks look ok for re-using. Both seem to be the C38 crank family that fits into M20 without problems.

84mm crank with integrated triggerwheel does not turn freely in M20B25 block (without modifications).

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
      Both cranks look ok for re-using. Both seem to be the C38 crank family that fits into M20 without problems.

84mm crank with integrated triggerwheel does not turn freely in M20B25 block (without modifications).
      Depends on what they cam out of. Outside the US, you guys have more options than we do. The early Euro m52 had the crank reluctor in the front (OBDII was only mandated in the US in 1996) - the Euro crank has shorter throws. In fact, Euro cranks clear late model short skirt pistons. The m54 (and m52tu) cranks have narrower throws that are larger in diameter, resulting in a lighter crank with more interference in an m20...

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ks#post9934671
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Resurrecting this thread. So the 84mm Euro smaller counterweight crank eliminates the need for clearance machining on the block?

Comment

Originally posted by RicardoD View Post
          Resurrecting this thread. So the 84mm Euro smaller counterweight crank eliminates the need for clearance machining on the block?
          Should do, but clearancing the block is easy as. The bigger issue is clearing the piston skirts but normally only if using OE pistons
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks Digger,

I sourced one of these Euro 2242898 M52 cranks out of Scotland but I think the freight forwarding shipping cost I paid is equal to any additional block machining cost. I will photograph mine and share on the board when I get a chance. It is from a 1997 BMW E36 2.8 Manual

All the best,
            Ricardo
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Digger,

I sourced one of these Euro 2242898 M52 cranks out of Scotland but I think the freight forwarding shipping cost I paid is equal to any additional block machining cost. I will photograph mine and share on the board when I get a chance. It is from a 1997 BMW E36 2.8 Manual

All the best,
              Ricardo
              i also use freight forwarders because upsidedown land and yes they are uber $$$ out of the UK
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I paid more taxes, tolls and freight than item itself when purchased S50B30US crank from states and imported to Finland😂

Comment

Well at least the world is "smaller" now, I was very much alive pre-internet and there would have been NO way I was getting a specific crankshaft out of Scotland back then. The part hunt is frustrating but part of the fun of my project (putting a M20B25 stroker into a 1982 E21).

Comment

Well at least the world is "smaller" now, I was very much alive pre-internet and there would have been NO way I was getting a specific crankshaft out of Scotland back then. The part hunt is frustrating but part of the fun of my project (putting a M20B25 stroker into a 1982 E21).
                    I can hear you, I started building German cars 1994 and back then pretty much all information was hidden. You had to find specific people to talk with. I did lot of stupid mistakes just because the learning curve was so hard. Nowadays you just find from Google or Youtube and everything is there. Misinformation too, and the amount of nosense is remarkable.

Comment

Working...
                    X