No announcement yet.

JT's M20 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I was mucking about today with some sheet metal we had kicking around, I think if I just go pick up a decent size aluminium sheet I can cut and fold it. Anchor at the bottom edge of the battery tray by the shock tower and at the top just above the ecm wire harness hole. That little bit of extra space makes all the difference. More I look at firewall piece the more I think it is going to turn into a nightmare, it just isn't anywhere near flat enough.

Good point about rubber grommets, I didn't even think about that.

Comment

Not the most productive weekend, but I did have to wheel the car out of the shop. I did get the coils more or less mounted (needs paint and a couple more mounting holes), ended up using some steel we had kicking around. Need to add a brace of some sort at the top but overall I think I am pretty happy with it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_124755.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	9918937

Name:	20200419_124757.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	9918938

Name:	20200419_124911.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	9918939

Name:	20200419_124849.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	9918940

Tapped some 7/16 AN 4 holes in the TB as well, these will end up holding the IAT and vac pickup for the vacuum station:

Name:	20200418_145714.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	9918936

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread in detail, but did your valve cover go on alright with those head studs? My head studs protrude a similar amount, and while chasing down an oil leak I realized the baffle plate in my early-model valve cover is hitting the tops of the studs... No wonder I had leaks. Trying to figure out how to handle it, move to late model valve cover?

Comment

Originally posted by mikey.antonakakis View Post
          Didn't read the whole thread in detail, but did your valve cover go on alright with those head studs? My head studs protrude a similar amount, and while chasing down an oil leak I realized the baffle plate in my early-model valve cover is hitting the tops of the studs... No wonder I had leaks. Trying to figure out how to handle it, move to late model valve cover?
          I'll have to take a closer look. I had it tightened down and it looked fine, but I haven't run it yet.

That said, given some of the challenges I have had with other bits from IE it would not surprise me in the slightest.

What exactly is the baffle in there for? Preventing too much oil seeping out the valve cover vent?

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post

I'll have to take a closer look. I had it tightened down and it looked fine, but I haven't run it yet.

That said, given some of the challenges I have had with other bits from IE it would not surprise me in the slightest.

What exactly is the baffle in there for? Preventing too much oil seeping out the valve cover vent?
            Not sure what it's for, but that would make sense. It wouldn't help me a ton to pull it, it's less than a mm thick and I think I have more interference than that... I don't remember where I got my studs, I've had them for quite a while, but there's a good chance mine came from IE too.

Comment

The baffles are to stop liquid oil escaping, normally only want vapours going into the intake or catch can
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Not sure what it's for, but that would make sense. It wouldn't help me a ton to pull it, it's less than a mm thick and I think I have more interference than that... I don't remember where I got my studs, I've had them for quite a while, but there's a good chance mine came from IE too.
                I'll take a close look at it this weekend. If it does interference I guess I'm modifying the valve cover.

Comment

Personally have installed many sets of m20 studs at work, and there was only a couple of times I encountered the baffle/stud clearance issue. Once was an eta that had the head shaved well past factory indicators, the other time was the client used Mini 4v studs and shaved the bottoms off. Back before you could purchase an m20 head stud kit, it was about $400 to piece meal a set, but could purchase two sets of Mini stud kits for less than $200 and have spares (10 bolts on 4cyl, 14 on 6-shooters = 6extra for less $$).
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Personally have installed many sets of m20 studs at work, and there was only a couple of times I encountered the baffle/stud clearance issue. Once was an eta that had the head shaved well past factory indicators, the other time was the client used Mini 4v studs and shaved the bottoms off. Back before you could purchase an m20 head stud kit, it was about $400 to piece meal a set, but could purchase two sets of Mini stud kits for less than $200 and have spares (10 bolts on 4cyl, 14 on 6-shooters = 6extra for less $$).
                    Good to know. My block has been decked a touch, which I suppose could contribute if there is an issue. Overall I think I am actually happy with the studs, even if I do end up having to modify valve cover. Rather know I got them torqued properly than have studs that are flush with the nuts.

Comment

I have a feeling that's how my kit came, pieced together from Mini kits. It at least sounds familiar. I probably got them 2011 or 2012.

Thoughts on replacing studs one at at time? Drain the block of coolant first? Just do it? Don't ever do it? Would be nice to fix the leak without having to pull the head...

Comment

Absolutely you can do one at a time, but is it hurting anything?
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Absolutely you can do one at a time, but is it hurting anything?
                          Just leaky, that's all. I just pulled the trans to replace all the seals and did the oil pan gasket while it was out, so it hurts me emotionally that it's still leaving spots haha.

I might try doubling up gaskets first. Probably find a new VC while I'm at it, mine's a bit warped now.

Sorry for the sidetrack!

Comment

Took a very quick look this long weekend, valve cover seems to sit OK on top of the gasket, I did not torque it down. That said, I may run into issues, because I tried it without a gasket and it definitely sits up off the head surface maybe a hair... with the gasket in place though I am not sure if this will be an issue or not (uncertain of compressed thickness and I didn't want to torque valve cover down), but I do believe the studs are making contact and holding the cover up a touch. I wonder if some very selectively drilled holes will significantly hamper the baffle/make a difference in terms of liquid oil reaching the breather hose. I have a catch can that will be right there anyway.

In other news, waiting on parts. COVID shipping fun times, UPS has apparently had one of my packages in the city for an entire week, but it is still 'delayed due to events beyond our control'. At least until Friday, when they updated it to 'delayed due to severe weather'. It was lightly raining. Not sure if there is a frowning, flat palms up emoji somewhere here or not but that is exactly how I feel at the moment.

This did show up from Massive Lee though (and ahead of schedule, hard to believe):

Name:	20200408_191744.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	9926741
                            So once my new tilton MC's/balance bar arrive I will be pulling the booster and getting it in.

Also, the lady realized I apparently don't have enough to do with my car build (you know, waiting on parts and all that) so I have been enlisted in the caretaking of these little buggers:

Name:	20200517_165808.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	9926742

Wish me luck.

Comment

That Massive bracket is a quality piece, you will like it 8^)

I haven't seen many running it, I recreated an old thread that was on tech and fixed the pics - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...f-r-conversion

I went with the offset one for the extra room

Last edited by whodwho; 05-24-2020, 07:32 AM.
                              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                                That Massive bracket is a quality piece, you will like it 8^)

I haven't seen many running it, I thought I had a thread on r3v but looks like it was on tech - http://www.e30techarchive.com/showthread.php&t=120545.htm

I went with the offset one for the extra room

This is great, thanks. Another reference should make my install even more painless, not that it seems very complicated from what I was looking at.

It definitely strikes me as very solid, I am looking forward to getting it in. Maybe even this weekend if the MCs and other bits arrive.

What was your issue with the feel on the 0.625 and 0.7 with stock brakes? I was planning on running stock for a little while at least, I ended up settling on a 0.625 and 0.75 tilton, was planning on using the 7:1 pedal ratio offered in the massive kit. Based on some of your comments in another thread I am worried this is going to be really unpleasant to drive, and I may have to adjust front MC for now. At this point I am definitely not going to be on the track, just street cruising while I get everything together and running.
                                Last edited by JehTehsus; 05-20-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X