Denso Iridium spark plug gap .8 mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denso Iridium spark plug gap .8 mm?

replacing spark plugs in my 87 325is w stock motor, checked to see if the Denso Iridium's are pre-gapped (apparently not) and found them calling for a .8mm gap in the M20. Has anyone run them that wide? Is it correct? Taking it on a 500 mile tmoro, not wanting to have any issues on the way... http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/g...ename=4w-7.txt

Our old cars were designed to use spark plugs that would work on a wide range of combustion mixtures. Sometimes on the rich side. Sometimes on the lean side. Good old copper spark plugs work well in this environment. Iridium spark plugs are designed for much newer motors that work in a very narrow mixture range. Therefore, I am not persuaded these newer technology spark plugs are the best for our old cars. Bring a set of copper spark plugs just in case... ;-)
    Last edited by Massive Lee; 12-22-2019, 05:07 PM.
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

either get the proper NGK ZR5GRA (whatver it is) or run the iridium as is they arent supposed to be adjusted and shold work fine on a healthy ignition setup.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I tried swapping plugs for Iridium but what I found was they do not have removable caps so our wires do not plug in...

Comment

I've had them in my car for five years and they have been great. The ones I have had the tops that screw off. I am running 19 lb. 4-pintle Ford injectors and a SSSquid chip tuned for them with a Denso oxygen sensor. Smoothest M20B25 I have had and great in-town driveability. Not sure if they would work as well with a stock tune. My advice for stock chip users is to use 715 stock injectors and copper plugs.

Comment

NGK ZR5GRA is still widely available. Why look for something else?

Comment

With all the complaints of the M20's running shitty on iridium plugs, I never even considered it. Bosch or NGK coppers for me.
              It's not like you have to remove anything to get at the plugs, so what benefit will you see out of the extra life of iridiums anyway.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I agree with the others. The system was designed to work with copper plugs, and we run them in long endurance races with no issues.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                X