Honda K20/24 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda K20/24 swap

It appears K-miata has been hard at work designing an adapter plate to adapt BMW transmissions for use in a Miata, so you can use a G260, ZF320, or even the newer 6 speeds.

https://kmiata.com/blogs/news/big-ne...for-your-miata

So, now all you need is an oil pan and pickup to physically fit the engine into your car, once the plate is released!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

I just read that yesterday! Now we can have a bunch of Hond-Tech transplants come here :P

Actually it's a good idea. Before we swapped the w210 to an ls1/t56, I was going to try something similar to make it a manual...
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

looks like they're not making a plate to use a K motor with a G260, so you have to go out and get a ZF

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Well, the bolt pattern is nearly equivalent, you'd just have to tilt the shifter to the appropriate angle. I guess you'd have to ensure that a 240mm clutch will work with the G260.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          looks like they're not making a plate to use a K motor with a G260, so you have to go out and get a ZF
          Huh?

Although many transmissions will work with these new parts, we narrowed it down to the following three options that seem like the best fit:
          1. E36 5 speed ZF trans (same trans for M3 and base models)
          2. E30 5 speed Getrag 260 trans (available in 6 cylinder cars, longer gearing than the ZF)
          3. E46 ZF 6 speed from 2003-2006 330i and Z4 (non-M3 6 speeds)

....As a bonus, the E30 5 speeds also share the same bolt pattern, except rotated 10 degrees. The ratios will appeal to some customers so we'll have a specific adapter for that trans as well.
          Originally posted by FredK View Post
          I guess you'd have to ensure that a 240mm clutch will work with the G260.
          Seeing that UUC offers an m5 clutch kit for the m20, it should work...

Clutch Options

Again, because these transmissions come from cars with high HP levels from the factory, clutch options are fantastic for our purposes.

Our flywheel is designed to work with any E46 or E39 (5 series) pressure plate. Yes, the E46 M3 and E39 M5 use the same pressure plate as the base model cars. Because this pressure plate is used for the 400 HP V8 in the M5, BMW guys are holding 400-500wtq with their stock clutches.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Y'all kinda lost me with the Honda part-
            I was having a hard time seeing a ZF320 working transversely.
            And the S2000 has a very nice trans already...

heh

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              It appears K-miata has been hard at work designing an adapter plate to adapt BMW transmissions for use in a Miata, so you can use a G260, ZF320, or even the newer 6 speeds.

https://kmiata.com/blogs/news/big-ne...for-your-miata

So, now all you need is an oil pan and pickup to physically fit the engine into your car, once the plate is released!
              I saw that last week and thought it was awesome, then watched them test it at gingerman for a while on Friday

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                transverse
                what?
                @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                [b u i l d]
                [Car of the month: April 2018]

0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

Comment

The title says Honda, in which all the engines are stuffed in sideways, except the S2000,
                  which has a pretty robust tranny. So I was expecting something absurd for your Accord.

yes, it's a stretch.

It's been a tough week.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

S2000 production figures seem a hair under 100000, whereas there are millions of BMWs with ZF320s around. ZF was/is the obvious choice for a trans out of the two. Just dumb luck that the miata guys decided to use it over something else.

I talked to a guy a year back who was working through the trans adapter. It looked like he had a decent mock up, but I never heard from him again.

240mm fits fine with a G260.

I would like to see a built K series in an E30 some day, just not sure I would ever get around to doing it myself. At this point, I really just want an NA M20 in a decent shell.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

There was a thread on here about someone doing a K swap a while back as well...

Edit:

www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288082
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah, I wonder what the oilpan looked like, or if the OP of that thread discovered the bad engine before he even set off on fabricating one.

The K-series oil pickup looks like it is placed aft enough so that it'd interfere with the front subframe.

Comment

I'm pretty excited about this. The K-series seems like it'd be a great engine for an E30 with the light weight and good power output. Like many people have said before it'd be like a cheaper and more modern S14. CAtuned has been put a few F20's in 2002's recently. So if you can put an F20 into a 2002, and you can put an M20 into a 2002, and you can put a K series in an S2000, you'd think we could get a K series in an E30.

Comment

i really want someone to figure out the oil pan/pickup so this can become a thing. add some mounts in that package and you have a basic bolt in swap. id opt for this over most swaps for the engine placement and all the room for activities in the engine bay

Comment

Bump for oil pan and pickup details... Anybody know?

Comment

Working...
                              X