No announcement yet.

1987 325e sedan M30B35 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've been through something like this. it's a huge lose i'm sorry.
    The up side is whoever googles about this rocker will know they are a pile of garbage.

The ie rockers have been good to mine they are heavily heavily abused for acouple years now
    just make sure they are adjusted tight. rockers brake because they are too loose and get hammered.

Comment

That’s a real shame, I may lean towards the metric mechanic option now.

Comment

Man, what a pain. Kudos to you for seeing it through, and thankfully your cam made it out okay!
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Finally got it running!!!
          Bought a set of IE/Bimmerheads HD rocker arms.

I even went back to using the stock B35 valve springs. Previously I was running the Ireland Engineering race springs which according to Jeff at Ireland are only 25% stronger then stock B35 springs.
          I had to make this ghetto valve spring compressor with an old rocker as I couldn't get my c clamp compressor to squeeze the springs enough.

Worked great. I had to put a plastic wedge between the cam and the compressor/rocker to get enough lift to get the collets out.
          All back together.

Here she is up and running.

It's currently running on microsquirt Alpha N. That's right, MICROSQUIRT! I'll make a separate post detailing the microsquirt install.
          I still have the motronic harness installed just in case I get stranded and need to switch it back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

hell ya finally.
            just saying i had a cat cam that floated the valves. it wouldn't make power past 5k
            using the ie springs fixed that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              hell ya finally.
              just saying i had a cat cam that floated the valves. it wouldn't make power past 5k
              using the ie springs fixed that problem.
              My logic to going with the IE springs was the steel rockers are much heavier and therefore would need more spring to keep the valves from floating.
              Jeff responded to all my emails and recommended using his inner spring and a stock outer spring to reduce the spring force slightly.

Comment

thats a lovely sounding idle haha. glad to hear its back up and running! you move quick!
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Nice man! How does it feel off-idle/low RPM? Still snappy with the 292 since you've got 3.5l of fury?

Comment

Sounds fantastic! Impressive job sticking with it.

Comment

So microsquirt.
                      Its basically the same as megasquirt 2 extra. In fact if you buy a M20 or M30 pnp kit it contains a microsquirt unit.
                      Microsquirt is a very simplified version, it only contains 2 injector outputs and 2 ignition outputs. (You must provide the coil drivers as the microsquirt board does not contain them.
                      For a M10/20/30 this system will support the engine perfectly, even if boosted.
                      So let's begin the install.
                      Here is my microsquirt unit with 30" of harness wiring. It cost roughly $360.

Next you'll need a GM IAT and Map sensor.

Here is the wiring diagram I used to build the harness. It's very straight forward.

I had a spare motronic 1.3 harness that I hacked up to use the connectors.

Microsquirt units don't have coil drivers, only spark outputs. So you'll need an external coil driver. I picked one up at the junkyard from a Volvo 740.

Bosch P/N 0227 100124. It's a single channel coil driver. If you attempt to run a coil off the microsquirt spark output you will burn it up.

You will also need a wideband of your choice. It is super difficult to tune with a narrowband oxygen sensor. I'll post my fuel and ignition tables once they are perfected.

Here is where I mounted the microsquirt controller. I felt that under the drivers dash would be best.

There are extra provisions in the chassis grommet for the harness.

More to come.

Comment

This is just great! Love your approach and have to admit, your thread made me look for an m30b35 to swap into my beat ass 325e.
                        Thank you for sharing the microsquirt install. Def super helpful
                        '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                          Nice man! How does it feel off-idle/low RPM? Still snappy with the 292 since you've got 3.5l of fury?
                          If I had to do it again I would get a cam with a wider lobe separation angle. With this cam my engine is idling at 75-80 kpa. 102kpa is atmospheric pressure and most engines idle between 40-60 kpa.
                          Also it smells super rich at idle because both valves are open at the same time at the end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke.
                          Driving at low load, low rpm results in a bit of stumbling. At 45mph in 5th gear at 1500 rpm you can tell the cam overlap is making the engine less smooth. Anything above 1800 and you can't even tell. I didn't notice any loss of torque with this cam it pulls just as hard as it did below 3000 rpm.
                          You do get a lot of attention from other car enthusiasts when your engine sounds like the beginning of Van Halen's hot for teacher. Strangers ask me what is under the hood quite often.
                          Most non car people assume something is wrong with your car and your driving the most clapped out jalopy in town.
                          Above 3000 rpm this thing pulls as hard as a S52 all the way up to 6800. It's quite impressive compared to a stock M30 on motronic. I'm able to spin the tires going into second.
                          I'm still messing with the timing and tune trying to perfect the driveability.

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                            If I had to do it again I would get a cam with a wider lobe separation angle. With this cam my engine is idling at 75-80 kpa. 102kpa is atmospheric pressure and most engines idle between 40-60 kpa.
                            Also it smells super rich at idle because both valves are open at the same time at the end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke.
                            Driving at low load, low rpm results in a bit of stumbling. At 45mph in 5th gear at 1500 rpm you can tell the cam overlap is making the engine less smooth. Anything above 1800 and you can't even tell. I didn't notice any loss of torque with this cam it pulls just as hard as it did below 3000 rpm.
                            You do get a lot of attention from other car enthusiasts when your engine sounds like the beginning of Van Halen's hot for teacher. Strangers ask me what is under the hood quite often.
                            Most non car people assume something is wrong with your car and your driving the most clapped out jalopy in town.
                            Above 3000 rpm this thing pulls as hard as a S52 all the way up to 6800. It's quite impressive compared to a stock M30 on motronic. I'm able to spin the tires going into second.
                            I'm still messing with the timing and tune trying to perfect the driveability.
                            Really good to know. Seems the Cat Cams 294 may be a nice compromise with a little less lift, a touch more duration and a wider LSA? http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...AMSETUP_id=257

Not worth changing at this point obviously. I read your thread once a week to remind myself of how bad I need an M30. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Really good to know. Seems the Cat Cams 294 may be a nice compromise with a little less lift, a touch more duration and a wider LSA? http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...AMSETUP_id=257

Not worth changing at this point obviously. I read your thread once a week to remind myself of how bad I need an M30. Thanks for that.
                              My cams lsa is 108, that Cat Cams 294 is 110. I think the stock B35 cam is 112. Most normal engines are around 114.

Comment

ya that sounds super nasty i love it.

my garbage cat cam stops making power past 6,200 wish i got something like urs.
                                when is the dyno i want to see that shit rip to 7k.

Comment

Working...
                                X