No announcement yet.

1987 325e sedan M30B35 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to finish detailing the Microsquirt install.
    Microsquirt needs a variable TPS. If you have an automatic throttle body you can use the 6 pin tps already on the throttle body. You can use any variable TPS you like really. You just have to calibrate it on tunerstudio. I choose to use a M50/52/60/62 TPS. They are cheap and really easy to go to a junkyard and find half a dozen.
    I bought a squared motorsports TPS adapter plate. I kinda wish I made my own, its clocked kinda weird. I think it's made for an M20 application.

I am not actually running a idle valve at all. My idle is controlled by a bleed valve from a euro m30 2 wire ICV.

The valve is just inserted to the hose where the ICV would normally go.

I may run a ICV later but this seems to work for now.

I used the open hole on the intake tube to insert the GM iat sensor. It fits pretty good.

You can use the stock motronic coolant temp sensor. In fact the calibrations are already pre loaded into tunerstudio.

I chose to leave my FPR un plugged to keep the fuel pressure stable at all ranges of rpm. Because my fuel table is infinitely variable I didn't think having the fuel pressure fluctuating would help with tuning.
    Plus I need a intake manifold port for my map sensor. My map sensor lives below the relay box on the drivers side inner fender. I inserted a .030" might welder tip in the map line to smooth out the signal at low rpms.

After I had all my connections completed I began trying to wrap all those ugly wires. It's not the prettiest but better than nothing.

Here is how she looks right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

What are the cam specs?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        ya that sounds super nasty i love it.

my garbage cat cam stops making power past 6,200 wish i got something like urs.

when is the dyno i want to see that shit rip to 7k.
        What are the cam specs?

Comment

i don't have any cam knowledge what so ever keep that in mind
          just got it because it was "turbo cam" and it didn't require springs, which it absolutely did. stock springs would float at 5.5k

looking back i should of got the big n/a cam.

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
            My cams lsa is 108, that Cat Cams 294 is 110. I think the stock B35 cam is 112. Most normal engines are around 114.
            Yep, you definitely have too much overlap at idle. The Schrick along with that CatCams both have a 110 LSA. The new IE Billet cam is called the N21 and supposedly shares the same specs as the “legendary” Paul Burke N21. I think I have the cam sheet somewhere on my computer, I don’t remember what that LSA is offhand.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

FWIW I have an "N21+2" cam (and pistons to match) and it has 108 lobe separation. It idles pretty well and I don't smell any unburned fuel.
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                FWIW I have an "N21+2" cam (and pistons to match) and it has 108 lobe separation. It idles pretty well and I don't smell any unburned fuel.
                What compression ratio are your pistons? I still run stock compression pistons 9.0:1. That must explain why I can dial in an excessive amounts of ignition advance and not ping/knock. At WOT above 3000 rpm I run 38 to 42 degrees.
                The cam must also reduce my dynamic compression ratio quite a bit as well.

Comment

Here's the IE Billet "N21" card:

M30 284-280 Billet Cam Card by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I have 10.5:1 compression pistons also designed by Paul Burke. I was told by a dyno operator that my motor was knock limited with 93 octane on an 80 degree day.
                    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

hey bearmw can u post a dyno pls?

Comment

http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...nguage=english

i don't have any cam knowledge what so ever keep that in mind
                        just got it because it was "turbo cam" and it didn't require springs, which it absolutely did. stock springs would float at 5.5k

looking back i should of got the big n/a cam.
                        You ran this cam on a N/A engine? The exhaust duration is not much more than a stock B35 cam and the lift is also 1.5mm less. I would expect the performance to drop off at higher RPMs due to the small exhaust cam.
                        Turbo engines have much higher cylinder pressures so getting the exhaust out fast isn't a problem. Running a larger intake cam and a smaller exhaust cam with little to no overlap helps build boost.

Comment

nope, always turboed.
                          felt power comes on sooner
                          and some more mid range, but top end is stockish.
                          not what i was looking for but still made it faster i guess.

i have a schriek 28x somewhere but it has pitting on a lobe. :X

Comment

Dyno graph.
                            IMG_20170922_135646442_HDR.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

does it die at 6? can't make it out.
                              you guys notice that m30s die around the same rpm nomatter what cams they have?
                              someone needs to make a legit intake for these things.

Comment

does it die at 6? can't make it out.
                                you guys notice that m30s die around the same rpm nomatter what cams they have?
                                someone needs to make a legit intake for these things.

RHD in australia have ITBs for M30 engines now.
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X