No announcement yet.

k24a2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your wife is on board with keeping them, absolutely do NOT sell them!..
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Star View Post

Ya we were really lucky as it was a mile or so from where I live
      Good to hear you all stayed safe. Project cars are tough at an average lifestyle, to complete one on your own I think it requires an unbalanced lifestyle that most around you wont understand. And most time made harder by the woman in the relationship, But it good to hear they she is trying to convince you to keep it. Sounds like a double keeper. Parts will be twice as much and twice as hard to find years later.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Not sure whether you kept your swap or not, but if you happen to still have your M20 kicking around and some scales would you mind weighing the M20 vs the K24. I’ve been toying with the idea of the K-swap, but internet searches seem to point to the M20 being lighter than the Honda. Seems counter intuitive I know given the alloy construction of the K series, but people forget how compact the BMW engines actually are + once you factor in twin cams, VTEC etc. it all adds weight. Looking at engines from the era, the M20 is only slightly longer than a Nissan L-series 4 cylinder for example (and way more compact than a L-series 6). Even with its alloy block, a Nissan SR20 weighs more than an M20 - they’re actually a pretty big engine for a 4 cylinder.
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I weighed my m10 when I pulled it, and weighed the k24 after. The k24 is lighter than an m10, so it will be a lot lighter than an m20. The numbers are in my build thread somewhere, but iirc the m10 with accessories was 300ish pounds, and the k24 was 275.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

I've compared weights quite a bit.

Google searching shows M10s range between 300-320 lbs. depending on what it came from. Whereas m20s range between 390-400+ lbs.

So roughly 100-120 lbs. less than an m20. Plus nearly all of that weight does not cross the front subframe.

R3v thread: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...eight-plus-pic

From another thread:

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            M10 = 82kg = 184 lbs
            M42 = 100kg = 220 lbs
            S14 = 106kg = 233 lbs
            M20 = 117kg = 257 lbs
            M30 = 143kg = 315 lbs
            M50 = 140kg = 308 lbs
            S50 = 152kg = 334 lbs

(Taken from here: http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html)
            Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
            Here's weight list from www.e30.de I assume that all the ancillaries are included in these weights.

M40B16 132kg
            M20B27 175kg
            M52B28 170kg
            M50B25 198kg
            M60B40 210kg
            M30B35 212kg
            M102 225kg
            S38B36 232kg
            M70B50 250kg
            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 02-04-2022, 12:17 PM.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Thanks - just went back and re-read the Honda forums as many quote the K24 at 413lbs fully dressed. Just realised though, because they’re dealing with fwd ‘fully dressed’ includes the transmission (they want to know how much additional weight they’re adding to the front axle).

The e30.de weights are fully dressed, although the M50 looks slightly light, normally they’re listed as 207kg.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                Not sure whether you kept your swap or not, but if you happen to still have your M20 kicking around and some scales would you mind weighing the M20 vs the K24. I’ve been toying with the idea of the K-swap, but internet searches seem to point to the M20 being lighter than the Honda. Seems counter intuitive I know given the alloy construction of the K series, but people forget how compact the BMW engines actually are + once you factor in twin cams, VTEC etc. it all adds weight. Looking at engines from the era, the M20 is only slightly longer than a Nissan L-series 4 cylinder for example (and way more compact than a L-series 6). Even with its alloy block, a Nissan SR20 weighs more than an M20 - they’re actually a pretty big engine for a 4 cylinder.

I didn't get a chance to weigh the m20 but without accessories and exhaust, but including intake it felt like it weighed a lot more than 100lb difference. Me and my buddy picked up the k24 without issue( just the block, head and valve cover).

Im hoping when it gets warmer I might have time to start it up again.

Comment

Any more updates Michael? Living vicariously through you for now.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Waiting for the weather to warm up, but the new engine is looking pretty
                    Attached Files

Comment

Any updates michael? Thinking of getting the kit myself

Comment

Following this, thinking of resurrecting my e30 in the next year and eyeing a K24 setup.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Working...
                        X