No announcement yet.

Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usable it is, that's for sure. My buddy is going to chime in eventually and give his driving impressions on his car.
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

I love the fact that this is geared to be used as a DD friendly. Interested as well.

However as mentioned above, would be interested in Dyno numbers.
      Any documentation that will come with the kit?

Comment

Dyno numbers will come if we can make it happen before the winter with my buddies e21. There really are not any dynos within an hour- hour and a half of where i live.

It would come with install instructions and details about the kit.
        Last edited by jakeb; 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM.
        www.classicdaily.net
        1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

This is definitely an interesting thing. Very exiting. I would be interested in what would be needed to make my 220k mile m42 reliable with this.

Comment

Originally posted by LegionHelium View Post
            This is definitely an interesting thing. Very exiting. I would be interested in what would be needed to make my 220k mile m42 reliable with this.
            You might not need to do anything..... Depends on how well it was taken care of over it's life. It could be in better shape than an engine with 110k but it might be worn to the point of being ready to go if you have a turbo or not. Yes, the turbo will put more strain on the engine (220k or 110k).

On another note my buddy with the e21 got 23mpg on the last tank and we were beating the piss out of it. A lot of that was tuning so we were doing pull after pull.
            www.classicdaily.net
            1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Maybe by the time Tax season comes, people will have bought your kit and tested it. That way I could get one.

Comment

Hey guys, the E21 JakeB is referring to is my car. Jake was instrumental helping me piece it together and we've been tweaking the tune like electrical engineers with OCD. Got about 600 miles on it since the build, motor has over 140k. Like mentioned before, we still need to get it on a dyno to really get the tune perfect, but for now its really quick and we've been conservative on timing. The only thing I had to modify on the turbo is the internal wastegate size...its originally ~19mm but I ported it to basically a 24/20 oval. Before that i was boost creeping up to 14 psi!! I may switch to some colder plugs prior to getting on the dyno. Right now we have it tuned to 9 psi, will be taking it out to an autocross in a few weeks and i hope to get some videos up. MPG wise I've been driving it pretty hard and still getting around 25mpg for anyone who cares, pretty sure it would be near stock (I used to get 32 on long trips) if I was cruising at 70 all day. My iphone dyno says its 0-60 in 6.3 sec with wheel spin 4k+ in 2nd gear.

Last edited by sonomagtln2; 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

So would the tune included on the chip be a copy of the tune developed for your car?
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                    So would the tune included on the chip be a copy of the tune developed for your car?
                    yes
                    www.classicdaily.net
                    1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

If I had an m42 powered e30 or an '02 I'd be all over this.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I literally haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I saw this post. Which means it will have to happen.

Jake, when you say "yes" to "...tune developed for your car?" That means the chip is tuned for your "guinea pig" 318 right?
                        Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

There is enough interest so I am planning on moving ahead with the project. Sometime around Christmas or before..

The tune was done on an e21 with an e30 m42 as well as an 02 with a m42. Both turboed with a similar setup.

I will also offer tune adjustments for life for free if needed. Different gas, etc. If you are a little lean or rich here or there I will adjust and send you a chip. No Charge
                          www.classicdaily.net
                          1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                            There is enough interest so I am planning on moving ahead with the project. Sometime around Christmas or before..

The tune was done on an e21 with an e30 m42 as well as an 02 with a m42. Both turboed with a similar setup.

I will also offer tune adjustments for life for free if needed. Different gas, etc. If you are a little lean or rich here or there I will adjust and send you a chip. No Charge
                            Sweet, that's good service. What kinda set up do you use to tune the chips? This would almost persuade me not to go standalone.

Comment

I have an ostrich2 emulator with tunerproRT to tune. Along with a wideband. Then burn the chips with a willem programmer.
                              www.classicdaily.net
                              1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Damn, the more I look at this thread the more I want to keep the m42 and turbo it! I will keep an eye out for more updates, I'm interested

91 Alpinweiss2 318is OBD2 S52

Comment

Working...
                                X