M42 oil cooler, assorted gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 oil cooler, assorted gauges

So, since I'm beating on the engine a lot and will be installing a shortened sump, I think it's high time for an oil cooler, and pressure and temperature gauges.

Where are we getting oil coolers from? I've been searching around and can't seem to find any M42 specific.

And in regards to the gauges, I hear of people using T pieces off the stock filter housing thing. Will this work in my situation, just running to each gauge and piss the factory light off?

Thanks lads
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

I don't think there currently is a good pre-made solution to putting an oil cooler on an M42. I have seen at least 2 products that are apparently NLA, the VPD oil filter cap and a bypass plate that removes the stock oil filter housing and allows you to run a screw on oil filter and a cooler. Currently there are a couple of companies making oil filter caps that are machined and have ports on them, but they are $$$. It comes down to need, really, and I don't think you will need an oil cooler unless you are tracking the car, maybe not even then since you're NA. As for T-ing in an oil pressure and temp gauge, you would not have any problems there. Since they do not flow any oil, they won't be inaccurate or cause an erroneous low oil pressure light.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

I rallycross with an M42 and have never needed an oil cooler (and I have gauges that tell me that). The M42 cars I've seen doing Chumpcar (12-24hour enduros) don't have them either.

For oil pressure and temp, use the ports on either side of the oil filter housing (yep, M42 has two of them, unlike other e30 engines). No real need to have a dummy light if you're actually looking at your gauges (and if you're not, then why bother having them?)
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Have a lead on an adapter to fit a cooler, the seller just has to find it in his shop first. So that's one step complete.

Originally posted by varg View Post
        I don't think there currently is a good pre-made solution to putting an oil cooler on an M42. I have seen at least 2 products that are apparently NLA, the VPD oil filter cap and a bypass plate that removes the stock oil filter housing and allows you to run a screw on oil filter and a cooler. Currently there are a couple of companies making oil filter caps that are machined and have ports on them, but they are $$$. It comes down to need, really, and I don't think you will need an oil cooler unless you are tracking the car, maybe not even then since you're NA. As for T-ing in an oil pressure and temp gauge, you would not have any problems there. Since they do not flow any oil, they won't be inaccurate or cause an erroneous low oil pressure light.
        I'm actually having a sump that's 40mm shorter being made, so that will obviously reduce capacity a fair bit, meaning that the cooler will add some more capacity back in + help on the hot days here. You must remember that Australian 45 degree C days are not kind to cooling systems lol

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
        For oil pressure and temp, use the ports on either side of the oil filter housing (yep, M42 has two of them, unlike other e30 engines). No real need to have a dummy light if you're actually looking at your gauges (and if you're not, then why bother having them?)
        I was reading about that, but had a look on my car and can't seem to see where they mean. I don't suppose you have any pictures? A quick google image doesn't help me either.
        sigpic

Comment

I want to set up an oil cooler for my car since it'll be abused as a drift car and probably stay running during the summer time and what not.

But here's what irish44j was talking about

The size is M12 X 1.5 There's also another one on the back of the cylinder head towards the firewall, That's where I ran mine since I wanted to know the oil pressure at the highest point I can in the engine. Also having it back there is closer to where you'll have the gauge in the car meaning less hose to deal with.
          -Dee
          5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
          IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Super helpful, thanks heaps. That makes it nice and easy then. I'll have a look around on mine to find the one on the back. So I'm thinking pressure at the back where you have it, then probably temperature off the one in the picture. I believe the cooler will be before the sensor, would it be preferable to have it after so the sensor is reading the hottest?

Have a little something as a thankyou
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCxd...ature=youtu.be
            sigpic

Comment

yep, that's the other port. It's the same size as the one on the other size, though I forget the thread.

One note: when installed, you have to route the wiring so it won't get caught up in the alternator/PS belt.

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop
              visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

For future readers, here is the bolt on the back of the m42 that you can run oil pressure, or an oil feed from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8074.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	9893044

Comment

Working...
                X