3.64 or 3.73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.64 or 3.73

I recently swapped my auto 325es to a m20b25 engine with a manual trans. The car currently has a 2.93 and I feel like I can’t get out of 2nd gear on the back roads. I have a 3.64 and a 3.73 gear set. Which would you recommend. The car will be mainly a fun car to drive and maybe a track day or 2 a year.

3.73 for that power level. 3.73 on the hwy isn't bad either. I also make sure that they are a LSD.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Agreed - the 3.73 is what the 325i came from the factory with.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

There are calculators that you can use to compare differential ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by D3R3K View Post
          The car currently has a 2.93 and I feel like I can’t get out of 2nd gear on the back roads. I have a 3.64 and a 3.73 gear set.
          You can't install a 3.73 gear set into a 2.93 differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
            You can't install a 3.73 gear set into a 2.93 differential.
            Why’s that? They are both for a medium case diff.

Comment

Originally posted by D3R3K View Post

Why’s that? They are both for a medium case diff.
              The carrier offset changes from 3.07 to 2.79 meaning any ring gears from 3.15 up won't fit. Racing Diffs sells a "differential crown ring spacer" that allows you to adapt but depending on price you'll probably be better off purchasing a complete diff with the correct ratio.
              IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post

The carrier offset changes from 3.07 to 2.79 meaning any ring gears from 3.15 up won't fit. Racing Diffs sells a "differential crown ring spacer" that allows you to adapt but depending on price you'll probably be better off purchasing a complete diff with the correct ratio.
                Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post

that is new to me as well. i've harvested / rebuilt ls units before and changed gear sets. that is good to know about the 2.93.

Comment

I vote 3.73 LSD as well. Works great with the Getrag 260 ratios.

Comment

Working...
                    X