Diff troubles. Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff troubles. Help!!

*Original diff(3.73 open) always made noise since i got the car in 2012) whining bearing noise, and started making a screaming on deceleration in 2022. when tuning the output flanges opposite direction, there is a noticeable notching feeling.
    *Purchased diff(3.73) supposedly worked in 2013. never touched it. was stored indoors, sent it to a (potentially shady) bmw shop to get it restored in 2022. When I install it it makes a noise like it's a caliper grinding. metal on metal, increasing with speed. it IS the diff, all other sources isolated. Shop says they can't figure it out and it could be a warped casing. noise is still heard when turning by hand.
    *Newer diff (3.73 open) supposedly works. I turn it by hand and don't hear any noises but when I turn the output flanges opposite direction, they make that noticeable notching feeling as the original diff.

On the bench, i couldn't tell the difference between the original diff and the newer diff. LSD has a slight grinding noise on the bench (very slight ) and it gets quite loud when installed.

so what exactly can anyone advise? I already tried taking the diff (LSD) to a shop and spend $360 to basically end up with nothing.

TLDR; I have 3 diffs, one supposedly working, 2 not. How do I proceed? I realllllly don't want to put a non working diff in the car another time. I would prefer to get the LSD in the car but don't understand what exactly could be wrong. Also, is the "notchy" feeling when turning the output shaft opposite, in the open diffs, normal?

I really appreciate any help. This car has been dead for a year because of this and it's quite upsetting.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the differential?

Comment

check out bavariandiffs on Insta, he's got a patreon where he gives tips maybe worth a try, (not that I have). I haven't dealt with him personally but from what I see on his Instagram if I had diff issues I'd be looking his way.

TBH, your problem should have been solved with the first visit. When people say things like the case is warped its a sign your getting taken for a ride. Any old diff will likely need new bearings as they will pit if stored long enough and its not something you'll be able to tell without taking the diff apart or until you drive. Your first diff likely just needed a pinion bearing, if it had been taken care of early, at this point metals been flying around in there long enough possibly the side gears have failed.

Comment

pull the ls unit and rebuild it yourself. it's not hard. you can install it in the diff with the best gears. swap out the axle bearings and you're good to go.

edit : pop the cover off the ls diff and make sure that's what you got back.
        Last edited by 82eye; 04-17-2023, 07:02 AM.

Comment

What did they do when they serviced the diff? $360 is exceedingly cheap for a diff rebuild. It would be $1500+ at Diffsonline, a trusted source, for instance.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

'clunk- clunk- clunk' from the spiders when you turn the outputs in different directions is normal...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              'clunk- clunk- clunk' from the spiders when you turn the outputs in different directions is normal...

t
              this is helpful, thanks

Comment

Update: i'm in the tail end of rebuilding the diff. The pinion bearing races were pitted. That is absolutely the source of the noise. All other bearings look fine. The guy who "rebuilt" my diff has no clue what he was doing I guess because it took me (i've never opened a diff in my life) about 30 min to find the problem once it was opened.

Thank God for shop presses during this project

Comment

Working...
                X