More clutch problems any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More clutch problems any ideas?

ok, I have an e30 that has an M52 and a Getrag 260.

I bought a flywheel from RHD (the M44/42/40 M50/52 hybrid) and installed it this weekend.

we used a Sach clutch kit part number 21211223102 (KF296-03) as suggested on the RHD web site (it is for a late model 325i)

our problem is that we can't release the clutch. it seems like the clutch/flywheel stack is too short or the throwout bearing is too short but they are supposed to be the right parts for a late e30 with a single mass flywheel

the 260 is a shallow bellhousing (6.5" from the slave opening to the end of the bellhousing) so we shouldn't need the euro throwout bearing and according to my measurements there is an inch between the bearing and the clutch fingers so im not sure the extra 10mm would fix it anyway

One thing I did notice is that the pressure plate fingers are very flat when everything is bolted up, is this normal?

this is killing me since I am not sure what I need to do to fix the problem all the parts are supposedly correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

don't you need a modified m20 flywheel in that config ? can still be the rhd unit, but something needs clearanced. i'm not 1000% on it.

Comment

The RHD flywheel is supposed to fit this application. it uses the M52 starter with an M20 clutch

from their web site:

Description

BMW Lightweight Chrome-Molly Flywheel

Made as direct fitment to m40, m42, m43, M44, M50, M52, M54-5sp (will not fit m54 6 speed)

Use original m4x/m5x starter motor

Made from High tensile Chrome-molly steel these flywheels are both light and very strong.

Weighing only 3.9Kg (8.5Lb) they will greatly increase the response and acceleration of any vehicle

WARNING! this is a Hybrid product, Clutch fitment is standard 228mm from BMW m20 Engine (e30 325i etc)

CLUTCH

All m20 engines have the same clutch fitment... However it must be a version from SINGLE MASS Flywheel.

There are different part numbers for different models but they will ALL fit this FW providing they are SMF version.

Some OEM part numbers for Clutch kits

21211223119 or 21211223102

Sachs sport pressure plate 883082999618

It is recommended to check the slave cylinder piston travel and make sure it sits at about 60-70% compressed when installed.

Many heavy duty aftermarket clutches with improved clamping force are available if your application requires increased torque capacity such as racing or turbo engines etc.

Comment

Did you email rhd?
        Last edited by e30davie; 05-31-2023, 03:59 PM.

Comment

yea haven't heard back yet

Comment

Can you please stop opening new posts for the same issue?

Are you certain you don't have a zf? Just sounds like zf problems. Also I believe the euro to adds 30mm. Not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Spunup View Post
              The RHD flywheel is supposed to fit this application. it uses the M52 starter with an M20 clutch

from their web site:

Description

BMW Lightweight Chrome-Molly Flywheel

Made as direct fitment to m40, m42, m43, M44, M50, M52, M54-5sp (will not fit m54 6 speed)

Use original m4x/m5x starter motor

Made from High tensile Chrome-molly steel these flywheels are both light and very strong.

Weighing only 3.9Kg (8.5Lb) they will greatly increase the response and acceleration of any vehicle

WARNING! this is a Hybrid product, Clutch fitment is standard 228mm from BMW m20 Engine (e30 325i etc)

CLUTCH

All m20 engines have the same clutch fitment... However it must be a version from SINGLE MASS Flywheel.

There are different part numbers for different models but they will ALL fit this FW providing they are SMF version.

Some OEM part numbers for Clutch kits

21211223119 or 21211223102

Sachs sport pressure plate 883082999618

It is recommended to check the slave cylinder piston travel and make sure it sits at about 60-70% compressed when installed.

Many heavy duty aftermarket clutches with improved clamping force are available if your application requires increased torque capacity such as racing or turbo engines etc.
              pretty sure you have the wrong config when using m52 and g260. reading through the garagistic swap page indicates you need a modified m20 flywheel and matching starter in that particular set up. there are a few ways to get there depending on which trans you go with, and the flywheels will change.

E30 DOHC Swap Basics - M50, M52, M52 and S50 – Garagistic

hope i'm seeing this wrong and it's something simpler.

edit : make sure to check with rhd. they should have a direct fit for each config.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post
                Can you please stop opening new posts for the same issue?

Are you certain you don't have a zf? Just sounds like zf problems. Also I believe the euro to adds 30mm. Not sure.
                Sorry, not trying to make anyone mad I just don't see these as the same issues
                nope not a ZF

Comment

I heard back from rhd (they were very nice) basically they said everything should work and to check to be sure the slave is blead. if the slave is blead sometimes you need to make a longer rod for the slave.
                  Rather than making a new rod for the slave I ordered the euro T/O bearing (which will have the same effect as lengthening the rod) it should be here in around a week
                  Hopefully the new T/O will fix it!

Comment

Just to close the loop on this, the euro T/O bearing did fix the problem
                    I still don't understand why it was required because all the parts should have worked together (and we don't have the deep bellhousing) but hey, it works

Comment

I heard back from rhd (they were very nice) basically they said everything should work
                      Yeah the RHD guys are great. I've bugged them multiple times with my various trans/clutch combinations and they always answer my questions.
                      Love the product too, 7.5lb flywheel is a dream. (but challenging to drive now that it's mated with a Stage 3+ clutch)

Just to close the loop on this, the euro T/O bearing did fix the problem
                      I still don't understand why it was required because all the parts should have worked together (and we don't have the deep bellhousing) but hey, it works
                      ​Glad it fixed the problem.

Maybe something was off with your flywheel stack? Where did you put that bolt spacer ring?

Comment

Clearly the clutch fork movement geometry wasn't right. It is quite sensitive to have the fork in the right position at rest.

Comment

Working...
                        X