No announcement yet.

Dorman or Powerttrain Industries - E30 Drive Shaft replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called a couple of drive line shops - explained what I had - BMW e30 - and I got a little pushback on whether they really could do it.. Both state they didn't see the replacement u-joint in their paper catalogs.. I stated I could locate it (but then i got wait time in shipping) and bring it in.. Since the ujoint was staked - both shops suggested "it might be best" that I get a new driveshaft.. depending on the inner lip whether they could get a circlip installed (or something) . THey'd both be happy to look to see what they could do - friendly enough, but I need this ol girl back up and running.

So basically for time constraints - I went with the Dorman through RockAuto ... $525 shipped - It has the aftermarket replacement u-joints and Looks / sounds like they come from the Reno NV factory - prolly the same Powertrain industries since Dorman owns 40% of that company. Don't have too much time in messing around with locating the best deal unfortunately.

Comment

A little late to the thread, but Drive Line Service of North Atlanta does a lot of BMW driveshafts. They used to advertise in Roundel.

I used to visit Atlanta regularly for business, so I took them my Touring driveshaft for rebuild. They turned it around in less than a day. I'm also fairly sure they'll ship driveshafts.

Visit Drive Line Service Of North Atlanta Inc. for driveshaft repair and replacement in Norcross, GA. Call or click today to learn more!
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post
        So basically for time constraints - I went with the Dorman through RockAuto ... $525 shipped
        Hopefully you won't get shafted...

Comment

Perhaps not relevant to OP, but might be useful for anyone with a ZF320 or 24v swapped car.

I bought a new/upgraded E36 shaft and swapped the CSB over.
          Needed slight modification to fit the car, but it's nice to finally have a reliable driveshaft in there. This is the 5th one that's been in since 2014 for various reasons.

Post 480 of my build thread:
          Originally posted by Panici View Post
          Installed an HDT Automotive (Corey Ellis) upgraded driveshaft w/1310 Spicer u-joints.

Swapped out the CSB to an E30 unit. Unfortunately the driveshaft will not fit a bearing cover on the front-facing half of the CSB, and I ordered the wrong cover for the rear half.
          Since it sits above the exhaust heatshield I decided to run it without those cover plates.

Also had to grind down both of the u-joint edges for clearance to the rear subframe/chassis.

Comment

People in this thread mention getting a quality CSB and I was considering the JXB one but the only result I found for that one on here was a guy with a 24v swap having issues with his due to three-bolt QC issues, has anyone here with an M20 tried out the JXB option? Or am I best off just replacing it with a Febi one whenever the driveshaft is out in the future when it comes time for a rebuild or replacement? I've got some vibration, nothing too bad and it's mostly from the exhaust I have but I'm trying to address common bearing/bushing wear spots and CSBs are one of them I thought of. My driveshaft is still in okay shape as far as I can tell, but someday I plan to manual swap, yank the diff and rebuild it + give it extended studs and given I'd be needing a manual driveshaft anyway, seems an ideal time.
            i'm in love with german cars // gliding past me on the autobahn

stainless idols with silent hearts // never turning as we drift apart

Comment

I tried JXB CSB on my S50 E30. I have powertrain IND driveshaft which... has some run out... I noticed this by installing the JBX CSB... Bad vibration.. It could work with a good condition factory shaft that has better tolerances. Id use OEM / Genuine center support bearing.

I did love the direct engagement feel with the JXB. Just would vibrate everything to death if left in there.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
              X