E30 Blown transmission symptoms ? 5 speed getrag 260 with over 200k miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Blown transmission symptoms ? 5 speed getrag 260 with over 200k miles

So I have a 1989 325i 5 speed with over 200k miles , the transmission hasn’t been rebuilt but the clutch and pressure plate are new , recently it’s been making these loud noises whenever im at a stop , in gear or even on the accelerator but when I press the clutch in it disappears as seen in the video below , it almost sounds like a grinding noise and it’s only gotten louder , I have a video of it below 👇 ,It’s definitely a lot more jerky and at times I’ll feel the shifter jerk as well. Could this be a sign it’s gonna blow soon ? I checked the oil by sticking my finger in and there was nothing on my finger and when I drained it a small amount seemed to come out. Let me know if anyone has any idea what it could be ? I tried to upload the video here but it doesn’t let me so I upload the video on my YouTube channel here’s the link or you can just search up my account @E30Bro325e it’s the only video I have up lol !

Last edited by Obito22; 01-12-2024, 11:04 AM.

If you're at a standstill, the transmission is not spinning, so I think you can rule that out.

I would consider the TOB or pilot bearing to be the culprit.

NGL it's hard to make out the sound in the video, so this advice is based off your written description.

I would go ahead and replace the fluid in the trans if you cant remember doing it last. You should have a small stream of fluid after removing the fill plug.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      If you're at a standstill, the transmission is not spinning, so I think you can rule that out.

I would consider the TOB or pilot bearing to be the culprit.
      At standstill, you do engage the input shaft so there is another set of bearings located in the transmission housing. They are lubricated by the oil in the transmission so not too often an issue.

What Mr. B pointed out, TOB and pilot bearing are sealed bearings that should be replaced at every clutch change.

Make sure the pilot bearing is the correct one. Later cars (m42 e30, e36...) The tips of the input shaft are larger so the inner dia of the pilot bearings are larger. Not much... just about 2mm, but enough that your input shaft is not supported at the front.

if you step on the clutch pedal and get noise - TOB

No step and neutral has noise but goes away when you step on the clutch pedal- pilot or input shaft bearings

Comment

Were the clutch and flywheel replaced with original parts?
        Or was a lightweight flywheel used?

When you say it feels "jerky", is this when slipping the clutch while starting off from a stop? Or at another time?

Comment

MrBurgundy uturn

I think it’s going to be the pilot bearing then because it does go away when I press the clutch in but there is no noise when pressing the clutch in , I did drain the fluid and barely anything came out that’s why I was worried that the transmission was going to blow since there was hardly any oil in there but it also makes the noise while I’m in gear as well , I have a straight pipe exhaust so it’s a little hard to hear sorry 😅

Comment

So it was the pilot bearing , when I dropped the transmission the pilot bearing was flush with the top but I also drained my fluid and found this?? Metal shavings and grey fluid

Comment

Photos
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Obito22 View Post
                So it was the pilot bearing , when I dropped the transmission the pilot bearing was flush with the top but I also drained my fluid and found this?? Metal shavings and grey fluid
                What do you mean "flush with the top"?
                Did you confirm the pilot bearing was the right inner diameter for the transmission?

Fluid doesn't look good, but perhaps it has been a long time since it was changed. Might be worth fresh fluid to see if things improve (make sure you use the right type, some boxes actually take ATF even though they are manuals).

Comment

Was the throw out bearing replaced when clutch/ pressure plate done? Those can rattle at idle if going bad.
                  "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

Comment

In neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal,
                    3/4ths of the transmission's spinning.

If it shuts up when you then clutch, I fear your transmission needs, at least, a bearing or 2.
                    Input end of the countershaft is pretty common...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Describing noises on the internet is hard, rattling with foot off the clutch in these old transmissions is apparently something to do with the end play of one of the shafts. mine has been doing it for 8yrs, no change. and its definitely a rattle.

grinding though...grinding isnt good.

Comment

Working...
                      X