Project: Spielereien. AKA "The dumpster fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
    i know you mentioned this a while ago, but wanted to pipe in as the owner of an m60/m62 car (e34) - these engines run hot! when I pop the hood I'm like 'break out the steaks before she cools down!' i can imagine with a smaller than stock radiator and the even smaller engine bay that temps in the e30 might be warmer than an e34.
    Thanks man, Now that I've been driving it for a while, I got it pretty figured out. As long as the temp gauge stays near the half mark, It's all good!
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

The weather needs to hurry up and get better out, I'm getting really sick of the dumpster fire sitting in the garage, doing nothing.

I have had lots of projects on my plate right now. First, One of my Firefighters has a Saturn L200, that broke a timing chain. Another mechanic told him the valves were not bent, so he is paying me to put a new timing chain on. I got a bad feeling the valves are bent though. We will see.

In addition, I traded my Z400 quad, for a Banshee, that needs a top end rebuild. So a buddy that knows a shit ton about Banshees and I are rebuilding it. Slow project, but I need to get it done sooner than later.

Also, Continuing the accumulation of stupid shit I don't need, I acquired my grandfathers old tractor, A 1942 ford 9N. It has not ran in years. I use to spend a majority of my summers when I was a kid, with my grandfather, fixing fences, splitting firewood, herding cattle, and other farm work. It's probably not worth it to fix, but because of the sentimental value of it, It's worth it.

As for the Dumpster fire, when I am able to drive it, everything is great, I'm still in love with it. I do have a few things to fix, I'm pretty sure the slave cylinder is on it's way out, I got a new one, I just have not had the time to install it. I have been running manual steering since day one of the swap, and I like it when I'm driving the car spiritedly, but when I'm just cruising, it's kinda annoying. I have the stock M60 power steering pump, and I'm running a E46 330i rack. According to NW BMW, I should be able to plumb the pump, and get a reservoir, and I shouldn't require a filter or pressure regulator. I'm looking at doing the chase bay's reservoir, and AN lines. Hopefully I can get on those 2 projects sooner than later.
      Attached Files
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
        I have been running manual steering since day one of the swap, and I like it when I'm driving the car spiritedly, but when I'm just cruising, it's kinda annoying. I have the stock M60 power steering pump, and I'm running a E46 330i rack. According to NW BMW, I should be able to plumb the pump, and get a reservoir, and I shouldn't require a filter or pressure regulator. I'm looking at doing the chase bay's reservoir, and AN lines. Hopefully I can get on those 2 projects sooner than later.
        Wow that tractor project should be fun, keep us updated!

I'll be interested in seeing how your PS setup works out. I am planning on doing much the same thing but saving some money initially by using the stock E39 reservoir and building AN lines using RedHorse products (Sh3rparking really seemed to have success with their stuff).

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Well, Another victim of torque....

Accelerating hard from a stop, when I grabbed 2nd.....POP...... Good thing I had another set of axles. I think 2 of the bolts may have backed out, because 2 were hanging out of the CV joint, and the holes in the output shaft were not stripped.

A few hours of work, and a fight with removing the old axle from the hub, and we are back in business.
          Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 10:05 PM.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Check out sherpaking's latest post in his build thread, he is discussing power steering issues with swaps and the 330i rack.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
              Check out sherpaking's latest post in his build thread, he is discussing power steering issues with swaps and the 330i rack.
              Gotta link?
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Top o' the page! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...345894&page=66

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  Thanks
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

E30 picnic was awesome as usual this year, Rolled out from Centralia with the sunday convoy from Portland. About an hour on the Freeway. As always, No issues at all, everytime I get in this car, I love it more and more. I got to talk to ArtFoodBMW and see his swap, it was really cool to get to see another, road driven M60 swap. Griots garage, M3 fender Flaired, 2 door Touring M60 Swap'd car was there this year, and quickly reminded me how dirty my install really is. lol

I didn't get to take any pictures, so here's a few others took:

Credit: "Fergie"

Credit: "Cabriolet"

In addition, Since Photobucket has gone full retard, and decided that it's appropriate to charge $400 a year for the "privilege" of 3rd party hosting. I guess someone at photobucket didn't use their brain, and realize that 3rd party hosting is 99% of their users. Anyways, I spent far too long this afternoon un-fucking all the Photobucket picture links, and moved all the images from this thread, onto r3v.
                    Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 10:39 PM.
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Wow, Has it really been almost 2 years since I updated this?

Approaching 3 years since the dumpster fire's swap was first on the road. and I have a few thoughts.

First and foremost, Was it worth it?
                      YES. 100% yes. This was the single best thing I have ever done to my E30. This swap is so much fun, and it can be squirrely and sketchy, but so much fun.

Some improvements I need to make:
                      I NEED to sort out the brakes better than what I have now. I need to eliminate the ABS, and make some new lines to get rid of the ABS pump. I need to also tune the Bias in a little more, But my remote adjuster came unbolted from the bias bar on the pedal cluster. So I'll have to pull the dash and maybe remove the pedal cluster to make the adjustment. Thinking I'll probably clearance the Garagistic mount to make it easier for the remote adjuster, and future adjustment. I'll probably drill and pin the adjuster onto the adjustment bar also.

I really REALLY need to go to coilovers. I've had issue with blowing valve bodies on the shocks out, when I bottom them out. So I have 2 options, Shorten the front housings and use shorted inserts, and run the Camaro rear shocks. Or I can go with coilovers.
                      At a minimum I'm going to run coilovers in the front. for the rear I may do true coilovers, and go away from the divorced coil/shock setup. I have to look into what reinforcements and changes I need to do for the body and mounting points to accept this though. I can't see it being a simple bolt in for the rear. Given that the rear points are designed to support shocks, Not shocks, springs and full weight of the car throughout the range of use. The other option I considered for the rear is staying with a static spring in the rear, and using Camaro shocks. I need to figure out what my spring weight need to be. I have a buddy that use to race and crew chief for a circle track, and flat track team. He has corner scales, and knows how to make the calculations.

All of the above said about coilovers, I still want to do a 5 lug swap sometime, so I will probably hold off until after I have done the swap. Mainly because I have not decided which method I want to use for the front. The rear, I'm going to find some E36 Ti rear swing arms.

Wheels and tires are a must. I'm still rolling on stock bottle caps, and 195's....Holy crap, traction is not a thing with this width. I've got a couple of ideas for wheels, But like the coilovers, I need to wait for the 5 lug swap to happen first. I'm thinking basic Steel D-hole wheels, might be cool, but they are heavy. I'm still exploring options. I would love to get at least 225's under it, But I gotta see what my offset and feasibility of that width is. Fender Flares might be an option.

Rear Axles. I have now shattered 2 inner CV axles. It's usually on hard acceleration, or burnouts, and making the 1st to 2nd shift. Lucky, The first time I broke an axle, I was near a friend house, and he towed me home, and the 2nd time I was only like 3 blocks away from home. Not sure if there is a "Factory" upgrade for the axles. I've found aftermarket axles, rated to up to 800hp. I just gotta find the funds.....

Garagistic parts have been awesome. I have not had a single issue with any of them, With the exception of the outboard camber/toe adjusters on my rear subframe. It seems to be impossible to get wrenches on them to make adjustments. Right now, I have quite a bit of toe in on both rear tires because I didn't make the right adjustment when I installed the subframe. The inner/camber ones are great, and were well worth the effort! The engine mounting arms, bushings, subframe spacers, and all the other parts have been great. I'm looking at getting rid of "Ghetto shifter 2.0" and going to one of their new solid mount shifters in the future.

Overall, I am still really happy with the swap. Right now I'm not driving it much, because It really needs an oil change, and a service. But I'm kinda in a tough financial situation right now, and really don't have the money to drop on a thorough service. In the near future, I'm going to pull the drivetrain again, to make re-doing the brake lines easier, and I have a few other things that will be easier with the motor out, Like the heater hoses on the back of the motor.

In addition, I'm working on another project. I got my hands on my great-grandfather's '36 chevy truck, and it's rusty as hell, so I'm building a hotrod out of it. But Like I said before, I'm in a tough financial situation, so funds are limited to non-existent. I'm doing body working, and reworking/reviving rusted parts, like hinges.

I'll try to Keep this updates as I start working on the dumpster fire again.
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Hit us with some photos! Whenever you get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                          Wow, Has it really been almost 2 years since I updated this?

Approaching 3 years since the dumpster fire's swap was first on the road. and I have a few thoughts.

First and foremost, Was it worth it?
                          YES. 100% yes. This was the single best thing I have ever done to my E30. This swap is so much fun, and it can be squirrely and sketchy, but so much fun.

Some improvements I need to make:
                          I NEED to sort out the brakes better than what I have now. I need to eliminate the ABS, and make some new lines to get rid of the ABS pump. I need to also tune the Bias in a little more, But my remote adjuster came unbolted from the bias bar on the pedal cluster. So I'll have to pull the dash and maybe remove the pedal cluster to make the adjustment. Thinking I'll probably clearance the Garagistic mount to make it easier for the remote adjuster, and future adjustment. I'll probably drill and pin the adjuster onto the adjustment bar also.

I really REALLY need to go to coilovers. I've had issue with blowing valve bodies on the shocks out, when I bottom them out. So I have 2 options, Shorten the front housings and use shorted inserts, and run the Camaro rear shocks. Or I can go with coilovers.
                          At a minimum I'm going to run coilovers in the front. for the rear I may do true coilovers, and go away from the divorced coil/shock setup. I have to look into what reinforcements and changes I need to do for the body and mounting points to accept this though. I can't see it being a simple bolt in for the rear. Given that the rear points are designed to support shocks, Not shocks, springs and full weight of the car throughout the range of use. The other option I considered for the rear is staying with a static spring in the rear, and using Camaro shocks. I need to figure out what my spring weight need to be. I have a buddy that use to race and crew chief for a circle track, and flat track team. He has corner scales, and knows how to make the calculations.

All of the above said about coilovers, I still want to do a 5 lug swap sometime, so I will probably hold off until after I have done the swap. Mainly because I have not decided which method I want to use for the front. The rear, I'm going to find some E36 Ti rear swing arms.

Wheels and tires are a must. I'm still rolling on stock bottle caps, and 195's....Holy crap, traction is not a thing with this width. I've got a couple of ideas for wheels, But like the coilovers, I need to wait for the 5 lug swap to happen first. I'm thinking basic Steel D-hole wheels, might be cool, but they are heavy. I'm still exploring options. I would love to get at least 225's under it, But I gotta see what my offset and feasibility of that width is. Fender Flares might be an option.

Rear Axles. I have now shattered 2 inner CV axles. It's usually on hard acceleration, or burnouts, and making the 1st to 2nd shift. Lucky, The first time I broke an axle, I was near a friend house, and he towed me home, and the 2nd time I was only like 3 blocks away from home. Not sure if there is a "Factory" upgrade for the axles. I've found aftermarket axles, rated to up to 800hp. I just gotta find the funds.....

Garagistic parts have been awesome. I have not had a single issue with any of them, With the exception of the outboard camber/toe adjusters on my rear subframe. It seems to be impossible to get wrenches on them to make adjustments. Right now, I have quite a bit of toe in on both rear tires because I didn't make the right adjustment when I installed the subframe. The inner/camber ones are great, and were well worth the effort! The engine mounting arms, bushings, subframe spacers, and all the other parts have been great. I'm looking at getting rid of "Ghetto shifter 2.0" and going to one of their new solid mount shifters in the future.

Overall, I am still really happy with the swap. Right now I'm not driving it much, because It really needs an oil change, and a service. But I'm kinda in a tough financial situation right now, and really don't have the money to drop on a thorough service. In the near future, I'm going to pull the drivetrain again, to make re-doing the brake lines easier, and I have a few other things that will be easier with the motor out, Like the heater hoses on the back of the motor.

In addition, I'm working on another project. I got my hands on my great-grandfather's '36 chevy truck, and it's rusty as hell, so I'm building a hotrod out of it. But Like I said before, I'm in a tough financial situation, so funds are limited to non-existent. I'm doing body working, and reworking/reviving rusted parts, like hinges.

I'll try to Keep this updates as I start working on the dumpster fire again.
                          Wow you make a really cool swap, im in the process of starting my swapped m54b30 in my e30, by the way if you want fender flares and 225 tires, im using 225 50 r15 tires in a 15x9 0 offset all around.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well guys, another year past, and another post time.

4 years in, Still worth it. Still 100% fun. Unfortunately, adulting, time, and other crap has gotten in the way of doing shit with the dumpster fire, Outside of driving it.

It still needs tires. I am running a different set since last year, but still 195s. I really need to get new wheels, and get some wide on. I've been holding off on wheels because I wasn't sure if I wanted to 5 lug it our not. I'm really leaning towards it now. Coilovers are going to be a must still, I have decided that I'm going to go with a fortune auto setup, But again, I'm waiting until I decide which way I'm going to do the 5 lug. It's just going to be a matter of coming up with the funds. I'm still thinking about power steering, but again, just have not had the time/money/motivation to get it done. Another thing that has become really clear is the brakes need addressing. I'm looking at doing the RX7 turbo 2 brake conversion.

Overall, I still love this car, still love the swap, and would do it all over again.
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                            X