Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Dad's DD to my new toy... M62B44 swap time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many happenings today.

Lightweight flywheel showed up today along with my short block gasket kit. Holy cow, the flywheel is SO LIGHT compared to the OEM dual mass. It looks gorgeous also, it's too bad nobody else will see it once it's installed and in use.

My DME showed up on Dima's doorstep and was programmed today for catless tune and EWS delete. It still kinda irks me that I paid someone $525 for ten minutes of work. Such is the BMW life.

I also got to work on tearing down the motor for the new gaskets. There was oil in the spark plug well on the right cylinder bank but not too much.

The cams look to be in pretty damn good condition considering the 230k+ miles on this engine. I think the only places I'm leaking oil are the inner valve cover gasket and the rear main seal. The seal on the back side of the crank could be a culprit also. I'm pretty happy with how she looks so far.

My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post

My DME showed up on Dima's doorstep and was programmed today for catless tune and EWS delete. It still kinda irks me that I paid someone $525 for ten minutes of work. Such is the BMW life.

You're paying for the skillset. Working with BMW DMEs is not an easy skill to learn. I think it's Nando on this board who has been learning to do it himself and it's been a long process.

Your reseal looks great, that should bring some peace of mind!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Got a local hot rod shop (Bob McCall Co) to weld up my garagistic front subframe reinforcements for the motor mounts and for the sway bar mounts. They did a great job on the welds and even painted them. It looks damn solid now. I'm thinking of painting the whole subframe in white to match the car.

Comment

They did a great job on the welds and even painted them. It looks damn solid now.
          hmm...i don't know if i would be jumping up and down about the fabrication work but as long as they are solid, i guess thats the important thing.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            hmm...i don't know if i would be jumping up and down about the fabrication work but as long as they are solid, i guess thats the important thing.
            The reinforcements were made by Garagistic, they did not fit very well. The shop that did the welding had to grind them down to make them fit.

Comment

The reinforcements were made by Garagistic, they did not fit very well. The shop that did the welding had to grind them down to make them fit.
              I had the same issue.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                I had the same issue.
                I never like to hear stuff like this. It seems they now have "bolt in" issues with their DSSR, subframe reinforcements, and x brace.
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I'm still waiting for my crank holder tool here. Starting to wonder if it will ever show up.

While waiting for said tool, I have put new o-rings and filter cups on the injectors and I just returned from dropping off the valve covers to be powder coated in white to match the car's paint. I haven't seen anyone get them done in white, so I'm excited to see how it looks. Those should be done by Wednesday.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                  I never like to hear stuff like this. It seems they now have "bolt in" issues with their DSSR, subframe reinforcements, and x brace.
                  Yeah, it kinda sucks that these parts aren't bolting in without issue, but we have to remember that these E30's are 26 years old at best. My chassis will be 30 years old in June.

Comment

Yeah, it kinda sucks that these parts aren't bolting in without issue, but we have to remember that these E30's are 26 years old at best. My chassis will be 30 years old in June.
                    So what?
                    If you're crossmember is changing shape in 30 years, that's a problem. Being old doesn't make parts not fit. Your doors still close and seal, right?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      So what?
                      If you're crossmember is changing shape in 30 years, that's a problem. Being old doesn't make parts not fit. Your doors still close and seal, right?
                      Yeah my doors still close and seal. But they don't line up perfectly anymore either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Bye, Felicia!

Comment

Yeah my doors still close and seal. But they don't line up perfectly anymore either.

If you had to adjust the striker plate, that's probably due to hinge wear.

If you're talking about gap variation, then they probably never closed "perfectly".

Comment

Everyone told me the Jesus bolt was hard to get off. All I used was a $25 3/4" breaker bar. I didn't even use a cheater bar. [emoji2]

Whatever, I'm glad I didn't have to sacrifice a child to the gods to get 'er done.

Comment

i really like that hold down tool. did you fab it up?

where exactly are you located?
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                i really like that hold down tool. did you fab it up?

where exactly are you located?
                                Got the crank holder on Amazon for $65 shipped. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZW6CYA..._7oRTBuUTwjPmq

Am in San Antonio.

Comment

Working...
                                X