No announcement yet.

5.3 LSA build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have a beautiful car Dave. hacking a hole in the hood would be awful. I think about akin to going to a fancy steak house, buying the 100 dollar ribeye, and then proceeding to blast a greasy Mexican food and beer shit all over it before consumption.

I'll look around a little to see if I can come up with some ideas to post here for a hood bulge.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      you have a beautiful car Dave. hacking a hole in the hood would be awful. I think about akin to going to a fancy steak house, buying the 100 dollar ribeye, and then proceeding to blast a greasy Mexican food and beer shit all over it before consumption.

I'll look around a little to see if I can come up with some ideas to post here for a hood bulge.
      Believe me I really don't want to cut a hole in the hood. The hood clearance has been bothering me since I started on this project. I really appreciate the help
      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

More parts

More parts showed up today

20180227_193555 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

20180227_193302 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

20180227_193255 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

Everything is labeled
        20180227_193232 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
        20180227_193220 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

20180227_193212 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

20180227_193150 by Supa Khan, on Flickr

160*F thermostat

20180227_193031 by Supa Khan, on Flickr
        sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
          I would say so. The T56 is geared so low already. I understand that tire size plays into it but I rarely if ever see F-Body guys run below a 3.73 most run 4.10's when upgrading.
          Yeah, but they run bigger tires then we do on e30's. On F-bodys that are daily driven you don't want to go higher than 3.73, some do, but most prefer 3.73.
          First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
            Yeah, but they run bigger tires then we do on e30's. On F-bodys that are daily driven you don't want to go higher than 3.73, some do, but most prefer 3.73.
            Just make sure to reinforce whatever diff you use with a mount on both sides. Do the rear sub frame as well. It will never hold up otherwise.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I understand that tire size plays into it but I rarely if ever see F-Body guys run below a 3.73 most run 4.10's when upgrading.
              A supercharged F-body is probably running 26-28" slicks or drag radials depending on power output, so what gearing they run isn't going to be the same as what you want with a car which is several hundred pounds lighter with sub 25" tires.

FWIW I run a 3.25 LSD on my E30, and it's great for street driving and far from under-geared. A 0-60 run ends in 2nd gear and I still get some wheelspin even with good tires. If I had the torque of a supercharged 5.3 V8 I'd probably be burning rubber all the way through 3rd.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                A supercharged F-body is probably running 26-28" slicks or drag radials depending on power output, so what gearing they run isn't going to be the same as what you want with a car which is several hundred pounds lighter with sub 25" tires.

FWIW I run a 3.25 LSD on my E30, and it's great for street driving and far from under-geared. A 0-60 run ends in 2nd gear and I still get some wheelspin even with good tires. If I had the torque of a supercharged 5.3 V8 I'd probably be burning rubber all the way through 3rd.
                You are not considering the gearing differences between a T56 and a getrag 260. I ran a 2.93 on my turbo M20 with a getrag 260 and it was the perfect rear diff. Ran the same diff on my ls swap and it was a dog. Didn't even break the tires loose and the two were making comparable HP with the LS making more torque. I'm running a 4.10 now I would not say that is a good call for a 500+ hp car but perfect for an N/A car. Plus I imagine this will not be his daily driver so have some fun with it.
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
                  Believe me I really don't want to cut a hole in the hood. The hood clearance has been bothering me since I started on this project. I really appreciate the help
                  can you give me an idea about how far it will stick out?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by flyboyx; 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    can you give me an idea about how far it will stick out?

Its about 4" taller then a ls1/ls6 intake. I don't know how much head room those intakes have to the hood. Maybe someone here can pull those measurements from the ls1/ls6 intake to their hood. That way we can figure out how much room I will need to have.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are your heads already rectangular port?
                      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Are your heads already rectangular port?
                        No, there cathedral. I'm running the adapters which are 1/2" thick.
                        sigpic

Comment

You are not considering the gearing differences between a T56 and a getrag 260
                          Actually I am. I am the one who suggested a gearing calculator, if you take the time to read my posts

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Its about 4" taller then a ls1/ls6 intake. I don't know how much head room those intakes have to the hood. Maybe someone here can pull those measurements from the ls1/ls6 intake to their hood. That way we can figure out how much room I will need to have.
                            maybe you can experiment with laying something about that height on top of your engine and see if the hood will close over it?

No, there cathedral. I'm running the adapters which are 1/2" thick.

will this make the intake stick up higher? maybe it might be worth finding the matching heads if it could clear without hood modification.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

The truck intake will not clear the stock hood. I butchered a scrap hood as a quick fix but i had to raise it 2-3" to clear comfortably.

See if this link works for you. I have a spreadsheet for gear ratios vs. RPMs that I used for my car. Super handy.

Last edited by sgtskid; 02-28-2018, 10:03 PM.
                              Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                              '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                              Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                              1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                              Check us out
                              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                                The truck intake will not clear the stock hood. I butchered a scrap hood as a quick fix but i had to raise it 2-3" to clear comfortably.

See if this link works for you. I have a spreadsheet for gear ratios vs. RPMs that I used for my car. Super handy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2e...ew?usp=sharing
                                Not bad, I bet with a lil more time and effort this could look pretty good. I would probably continue the height all the way to the end of the hood...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X